pictures for the ROTR

painting & drawing, digital media, video, VR
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: pictures for the ROTR

Post by Lúthien » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Nearly finished now. That's ever so lucky, because I only have one week before we go on vacation, and after that I only have four more days until the ROTR event.

I made pictures this evening using a better camera than the one in my phone. I also tweaked them a bit in order to try and get the colour balance right.
They are photographed in the passe-partout frames, but I am still working on the Nienna one, on the "Entry" one and the Elbereth one needs some minor touches.

Click for large view

Entry / Mountain range in Valinor (needs some work still)

Click for large view

Sunrise over the Pélori Mountains

Click for large view

Approaching Alqualondë

Click for large view

Nienna (needs some work still)

Click for large view

Ai Ithil! Or chîth hwiniol ..

Click for large view

Elbereth (needs some very minor tweaks)

Click for large view

West of West

Click for large view

Yavanna

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Wow, Melleth ~

You are really progressing along in the development of your drawings. I used an earlier version of your 'Yavanna tree' in my presentation on Elven spirituality. I'm still working on making that into a slide show ~ or will be when 'Operation Declutter Apartment' is finished. :+(

I also saw the shifting image of a woman within that drawing, both centered in between the upraised branches. I recognized the most literal depiction of Yavanna after you mentioned it as well. I think that the reason why 'regular people' haven't seen it is because it isn't very literal. While there are a few engaging depictions of Yavanna as a woman with branches and leaves growing out of her body, none of the ones that I consider thus depict her as naked. This one, with the branchy hair is one of the more interesting ones. It's not my favorite, but it is a bit striking.

I've noticed in my occasional searches for original images of the Valar that there are just as many that take a pre~existing picture of someone completely different that has been labeled as 'such and such' Vala or Valier. For some reason, this happens a lot with Yavanna, Varda, and Nessa. I think the folks that gravitate towards naked gods will borrow and modify Boris Vallejo illustrations ~ all of which are of specific fantasy characters ~ and rename them as the Valar. It leads to artistic travesties like this one, which is passed off as Nessa. ~

I think these types of portrayals come from an increasing need people seem to have to take everything very literal. It's as though having a very detailed drawing ~ depicting someone else ~ sets a baseline for understanding of deity for some people. This isn't wrong in and of itself, but there's a difference between my saying that Neil Gaiman's Sandman reminds me of Lord Irmo, and that Neil Gaiman's Sandman IS Lord Irmo. They're not the same being, even if this character (as I believe) resonates well with the Dream Lord ~

I'm not much of an illustrator, because I lack the patience to draw as detailed as needed to get what's in my head on the paper, so I admire your efforts to present such beautiful (and accurate/resonant) images of the beings and places within the Realm, Luthien. I enjoy seeing them, because the purity of the Realm comes through in each one.

~~~~~~~~~~

In an aside, I see absolutely no relevance for Twitter, either. To me, Twitter is a stripped down version of Facebook, specifically designed for those people who are totally addicted to texting. Facebook is a largely useless thing (but is great for photo storage), and Twitter to me is completely useless. I don't get it either. I would probably respond to everything on Twitter with 'Yeah, so?'

Eruannlass
I Aear cân ven na mar ~ 'The Sea calls us Home.'

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
~ e e cummings

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you :)