two new images

painting & drawing, digital media, video, VR
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

two new images

Post by Lúthien » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 am

I've been working on and off at two new images of scenes that I always found especially moving.
I've always shied away somewhat from paiting characters - especially when it concerns imagery inspired by the Legendarium instead of having seen them myself. That's because I've always found drawing people the hardest of all, and especially in the case of drawing some scene from the Legendarium - I don't want to portray any character in, let's say, a way that doesn't do them justice. I felt that landscapes or images of things from further away was safer in that respect.

Nonetheless, I finally set myself to trying my hand at two scenes that have always enchanted me. The first is the moment that Thingol - at that time still going by the name Elwë - comes across Melian. In the SIlmarillion, it is described like this:
JRRT, in 'Of Thingol and Melian', wrote:Elwë, lord of the Teleri, went often through the great woods to seek out Finwë his friend in the dwellings of the Noldor; and it chanced on a time that he came alone to the starlit wood of Nan Elmoth, and there suddenly he heard the song of nightingales. Then an enchantment fell on him, and he stood still; and afar off beyond the voices of the lomelindi he heard the voice of Melian, and it filled all his heart with wonder and desire. He forgot then utterly all his people and all the purposes of his mind, and following the birds under the shadow of the trees he passed deep into Nan Elmoth and was lost.But he came at last to a glade open to the stars, and there Melian stood; and out of the darkness he looked at her, and the light of Aman was in her face.
She spoke no word; but being filled with love Elwë came to her and took her hand, and straightway a spell was laid on him, so that they stood thus while long years were measured by the wheeling stars above them; and the trees of Nan Elmoth grew tall and dark before they spoke any word.
(note - they're not done yet - especially the figure of Melian needs a lot of work still, but I'm showing them just in case someone has a suggestion ... :) )

The other one is the moment described in the first verse of the Song of Beren and Luthien:

I nimwaloth i bain a phant,
i laiss in end calen nadhras
a egennir galad vin lant
elin vi uial thiliol.
Tinúviel i lilthas ias,
na lind o simp dholen a brand
a vi finnil dîn glîn ennas,
a vi chammad dîn míriol.

The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinuviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering.

A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: two new images

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 am

Outstanding!

You've captured the silhouettes of these moments with no significant error.

///Dave

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Thank you! What a great way to voice an art critique btw: "captured with no significant error" - I seriously like that expression!

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Suilad, Melleth ~

You've definitely made an amazing start on both of these illustrations! I have always enjoyed watching your ongoing work on your drawings, since I don't use the computer as a medium. Every thing that you draw possesses a vibrancy, a captured essence of life, and these two pieces are no exception, even at this early stage.

Since you asked for suggestions, there is one I thought of for the drawing of Tinuviel. Light has always been a significant element of all your Imaginal experiences, and in your art, that I hope as you continue working on this piece that you are able to connect with ways to capture the starlight glimmering in her raiment and her hair.

Your working with the light of Isil looks very good, and I feel that you can do a lot with the light of the stars, too. :)

Eruannlass
I Aear cân ven na mar ~ 'The Sea calls us Home.'

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
~ e e cummings

Calantirniel
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Post by Calantirniel » Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Luthien - these are both an utterly fantastic rendering! I know you are likely still adding finishing touches but I have to tell you I just LOVE the feeling and the idea of both of these - thanks for sharing! :-)
Calantirniel, Envinyanis Lotelenolë
Tië eldalieva, the Elven Spiritual Path
http://www.elvenspirituality.com
http://astroherbalist.com

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun May 24, 2015 5:22 am

Thank you!

Yes, I'm still working on both.
@Eruannlass: re. "and light of stars was in her hair / and in her raiment, glimmering" - I've indeed thought about it, and tried out a couple of things.
The problem is that it's very hard to visualise this without it quickly getting too much. Maybe I'm a bit overly cautious because using "visual effects" was always firmly discouraged in art school. And indeed, it gets corny very quickly if I were to add halo or "lens flare" effects.

So it's one of the challenges of this one: to find a way in which to get that sense of shimmering starlight across without relying on visual effects (a.k.a. "Bling" :) ). But so much better if it turns out well!

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 am

Here's the current state of "Thingol & Melian"

Not done yet but getting there. It's interesting to work on those reflections in the water: to experience what looks credibly "watery" and what doesn't.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:02 am

Sorry, but:

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/htXQmcXcFdtuXyeDBYYLY1Y2vZFAGKvgKpmHdjSYqAlTPIaab624mGv5rBgwVBb6
does not display here (at least in Chrome it doesn't). Dropbox throws a 404 error.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:59 am

hey, that's odd. It did display on the phone. I'll have a look.

edit - damn it, that stupid dropbox doesn't use fixed URL's for the images. That's just amazingly lame.

Does it work now?

EDIT it does. But I won't recommend sharing images via Dropbox: I had to find a tedious hack to make this work - adding 'raw=1' to the URL.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:42 am

Blast Dropbox and Google! I've never had so much hassle accessing my own images. It's ridiculous.

Anyhow, I followed Eruannlass' suggestion to use Photobucket (I'll try Dave's suggestion as soon as I'm home again). Hopefully this does work; here's the almost-finished Melian & Thingol drawing:

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Before anyone else notices: there's a factual error in this image. It's that Polaris, the star that all others rotate about on the Northern hemisphere (seen here as the smallest of all star trails) is way too low on the horizon.

Thingol and Melian met in the forest of Nan Elmoth (not sure) which is obviously rather Northern in Beleriand - say, around 60 degrees. At that latitude Polaris would also be 60 degrees above the horizon, which clearly it isn't. It's more like 30 degrees, suggesting the scene is in more southern parts.

But the composition left me no choice; otherwise it would have have outside off the image. Maybe I could make it a portrait format image ...

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:04 am

I noticed that, but it reminded me of the scene from the house here (about 34.87 degrees North), so ol' Richard Parker, he not say nuttin' :-) .

The visibility of constellations south of the celestial equator would vary a lot also, depending upon where you were in the precessional cycle, which would affect the look of the rotational paths. As little as 5000 years ago, for example, you could see the Southern Cross from London.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:32 am

Meneldur Olvarion wrote:I noticed that, but it reminded me of the scene from the house here (about 34.87 degrees North), so ol' Richard Parker, he not say nuttin' :-) .
... he just keeps rollin' along :)
Meneldur Olvarion wrote:The visibility of constellations south of the celestial equator would vary a lot also, depending upon where you were in the precessional cycle, which would affect the look of the rotational paths. As little as 5000 years ago, for example, you could see the Southern Cross from London.
I never realized the precession made so much difference ...

Calantirniel
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Post by Calantirniel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:03 pm

Oh, how did I miss the 2nd image?? Just utterly brilliant Luthien! I am sorry to have been away, but I will say that all of you are important to me! I hope you get your artwork out there somehow at some point, it is worthy! :-)
Calantirniel, Envinyanis Lotelenolë
Tië eldalieva, the Elven Spiritual Path
http://www.elvenspirituality.com
http://astroherbalist.com

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Lisa,

I suppose you missed it because the notification system has been broken for some time! The forum used to send out a mail for every message, but now that happens only sporadically it seems.

Thanks for your compliment! I actually worked further on both these images, and I have a lot of new others as well. It seems practice really pays off, both in quality and quantity.