Melian and Thingol in Nan Elmoth

painting & drawing, digital media, video, VR
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Melian and Thingol in Nan Elmoth

Post by Lúthien » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 pm

I got around to working on this one as well. It suffered from the same lack of composition and especially Melian's face was not very well done (see this earlier topic)
I think it is now quite a bit better.
melian-thingol-v2.jpg
Now when their journey was near its end, as has been told, the people of the Teleri rested long in East Beleriand, beyond the River Gelion; and at that time many of the Noldor still lay to the westward, in those forests that were afterwards named Neldoreth and Region. Elwë, lord of the Teleri, went often through the great woods to seek out Finwë his friend in the dwellings of the Noldor; and it chanced on a time that he came alone to the starlit wood of Nan Elmoth, and there suddenly he heard the song of nightingales. Then an enchantment fell on him, and he stood still; and afar off beyond the voices of the lomelindi he heard the voice of Melian, and it filled all his heart with wonder and desire. He forgot then utterly all his people and all the purposes of his mind, and following the birds under the shadow of the trees he passed deep into Nan Elmoth and was lost.But he came at last to a glade open to the stars, and there Melian stood; and out of the darkness he looked at her, and the light of Aman was in her face.
She spoke no word; but being filled with love Elwë came to her and took her hand, and straightway a spell was laid on him, so that they stood thus while long years were measured by the wheeling stars above them; and the trees of Nan Elmoth grew tall and dark before they spoke any word.
Thus Elwë’s folk who sought him found him not, and Olwë took the kingship of the Teleri and departed, as is told hereafter. Elwë Singollo came never again across the sea to Valinor so long as he lived, and Melian returned not thither while their realm together lasted; but of her there came among both Elves and Men a strain of the Ainur who were with Ilúvatar before Eä. In after days he became a king renowned, and his people were all the Eldar of Beleriand; the Sindar they were named, the Grey-elves, the Elves of the Twilight and King Greymantle was he, Elu Thingol in the tongue of that land. And Melian was his Queen, wiser than any child of Middle-earth.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Taurandir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Re: Melian and Thingol in Nan Elmoth

Post by Taurandir » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:59 pm

It's very nice. I love the effect of the stars wheeling around the sky beyond the trees to show the long passage of time. How are you making these images? Is it entirely digital? What program are you using?

It's a great image that captures the moment.
-Raúl

Taurandir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Post by Taurandir » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:06 pm

I also like how the light source is Melian because she is a Maia with the light of Aman in her face.
-Raúl

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:16 am

Skookum Jack wrote:It's very nice. I love the effect of the stars wheeling around the sky beyond the trees to show the long passage of time. How are you making these images? Is it entirely digital? What program are you using?

It's a great image that captures the moment.
Thanks!
I've mostly used Procreate for this one (on the ipad) so this one is created digitally (as the other one I posted some weeks ago about Tinúviel). I also use traditional media but working digitally is so extremely handy - I can work on it in many lost moments.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!