Images from Valinor

painting & drawing, digital media, video, VR
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Images from Valinor

Post by Lúthien » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 pm

In this topic. I want to post some other images that came to me while traveling to Valinor, but that are not of the Valar.

This has always been my portal - the doorway to the imaginal, even before I knew what it was - even as a child already. I used to see this image every time I turned inwards to the Legendarium.
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Images from Valinor

Post by Lúthien » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 pm

an unfinished drawing of Meríthiel, sitting in the grass.

Meríthiel and her family (I think it is her family, at least)

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 pm

a company walking uphill outside of (what I now think is) Alqualondë

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm

entry point in Valinor after transition through the Moon Vessel

Funny thing is I arrived not near, but in the water :D

Forest Wizard*
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post by Forest Wizard* » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:51 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!
I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. ~ Istar Qumran Caurenehtar

Ellenar
Plank Holder
Plank Holder

Post by Ellenar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 pm

I agree.  These are quite wonderful.  Looking at them gives me that tingling feeling along my spine, that I have come to associate with energy arousal.  Thank you for sharing this with us. 
"The time of Moonsheen has passed. The noontide of the dominion of Men is waning. Soon will come the era of Starshine. And the ages will partake of both; the grace of Moonsheen and the glory of the Days of the Sun" -Mormeril

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:50 am

Thank you! :)

here's an image not of Valinor but of Gondolin, during the Nost-na-Lothian festival:

I have twice been to Gondolin, both times at the Nost-na-Lothian. This image is mostly derived from my 2009 experience ... the one this year wasn't very visual. 
I did not know what the large building with the dome on it in the background was, but when I showed this image to Dave he said that he thought it might be dedicated to Vána.
The arched structure behind the fountain might or might not be attached to that building. but I think it was standing a little before it, and belongs more to the fountain. The bas relief depicts the two Trees in a stylized form.

In the square at the foot of the stairs in the foreground there is some sort of a figure dance taking place. All who participate were dressed in hues of light green, white and yellow.

A very peculiar thing that I noticed on both occasions that it was not "organized" like anything I have seen here and now. Things seemed to happen very spontaneously - as if everyone knew what they wanted, and as soon as someone took the initiative, others joined in without any discussion.
This went for both dances and song: as for the songs, someone would just start singing and others would join, not necessarily the ones close by. I heard several voices from lower "terraces" harmonizing with someone close by.

The girl sitting on the fence is not Meríthiel, but some inhabitant of Gondilin. It is possible that I had Meríthiel in mind when drawing the image, though, so it is possible that she looks a bit like her.

Ellenar
Plank Holder
Plank Holder

Post by Ellenar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 pm

To me, this image encapsulates the grace and beauty of the Eldar.  I feel as if I want to weep; from joy, not sorrow.  Lu'thien, you are truly blessed.  Once again I thank you for sharing this with us.
"The time of Moonsheen has passed. The noontide of the dominion of Men is waning. Soon will come the era of Starshine. And the ages will partake of both; the grace of Moonsheen and the glory of the Days of the Sun" -Mormeril

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 pm

I'h happy that it has this effect .. what more could I wish for?

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm

These are all very beautiful, Luthien.  Regarding your perception about the spontaneous happenings of song and dance that one Elda would begin and the rest would just 'flow' into, I have seen several instances in my own journeys where the Eldar use gesture as a nonverbal means of communication.  These range from being as subtle as a slight raising of a finger or tilt of the head to being somewhat ritualized in form, and deliberate. 

I am theorizing that this 'sub~communication' exists as a means of conveying information in situations where quiet is called for ~ such as hunting, or when it's too loud to be heard, as it may be while sailing in high winds.  I have now begun to see that most of the gestures Rowan makes as he talks are not just idle hand movement.  Pertaining to the Eldar as a whole, it's my guess that this gesture language integrated into their verbal speech at some point.  How far into Middle~earth it may have reached, or if it survived past the First Age, I don't know. 

You have used another means of non verbal communication ~ art ~ to communicate, and the results are profound.  As I told you in an email, I feel inspired to produce my own images after looking at these.  We are clearly seeing into a world where simple beauty and profuse symbolism has been considered and expressed in every structure, every 'thing' that is present in these homes.  It's no surprise that spontaneous harmony exists within.

Eruannlass
I Aear cân ven na mar ~ 'The Sea calls us Home.'

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
~ e e cummings

Galdrtru
Seafarer (Regular Member)
Seafarer (<i>Regular Member</i>)

Post by Galdrtru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Just wanted to say that your pieces are very nice, and have an ancient beauty to them...The only way I can think to say how they hit me.

I particularly like the piece involving the "company walking uphill outside of (what I now think is) Alqualondë"
'A darkness lies behind us,' Beor said...'Westwards our hearts have been turned, and we believe that there we shall find the Light.'

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Gee, haven't been in this thread for ages :)

Anyhow. I have been working on yet another image of the Trees - I feel like Niggle, forever working on the same picture. But that's OK, because it is the most central image and there is much to explore within it yet.

I want to capture the feel of what the place looks to me - especially the odd quality of the light, which does not diminish with distance as usual in an inverse square manner, but much slower - or else the Trees would have to be so bright that it makes no sense.
This is a regular painting, not a 3D Blender image. It's not yet finished still; I've had too little time lately to work much on it - usually only a quick ten minutes on the train, not much more.
It's not finished. But I'd like to share it nonetheless.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 pm

You've captured the blended radiance of the Trees very well.

Are those the lights of Tirion in the far distance beyond Valmar?

LostBoy
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post by LostBoy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Wow very nice Luthien! :) I especially like the one of Gondolin.

By any chance, is the picture of the lake of Lórien's garden, with a silver pagoda nearby? That's where I landed when I got sucked in via the moon one time, but I hadn't talked about it here.

Also - who is Merithiel, if you don't mind me asking?

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 am

-> Dave: yes, but it is a reconstruction based on other information, not my own vision. I haven't seen Tirion from there: maybe it's too far away or hidden behind some hill? Or maybe the air is not as clear as in this image: I figured that it needs some more haze in the distance.

-> LostBoy: no, it's not Lorellin. That's a much bigger body of water; this was just a pond of maybe ten meters across.
This was not far from wherever Aulë dwells, but I'm unsure where it is relative to other places there.

Merithiel: it is someone that I became aware of at one point, but I do not know exactly who she is. But my best bet in Imaginal terms is that she's my sister; in psychological terms my anima/animus (though it should have been a guy then I guess) or maybe she represents my soul (though that's not very different from anima/animus).
It could also be she's independent from me. But in any case she feels very, even extremely, familiar.