Images from Valinor

painting & drawing, digital media, video, VR
Calantirniel
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Re: Images from Valinor

Post by Calantirniel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Oh, I rather agree with Dave - nice portrayal of the light of both trees! :-) Are you still working on this piece Luthien?
Calantirniel, Envinyanis Lotelenolë
Tië eldalieva, the Elven Spiritual Path
http://www.elvenspirituality.com
http://astroherbalist.com

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes, it's not finished yet!

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 pm

I still had to rearrange it a bit. It's now getting quite close to how it really looks to me.

Calantirniel
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Post by Calantirniel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 am

Very luminescent! :-) Your visions must be awesome!
Calantirniel, Envinyanis Lotelenolë
Tië eldalieva, the Elven Spiritual Path
http://www.elvenspirituality.com
http://astroherbalist.com

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Your visions must be awesome!
Sometimes they are ... but it is also oftentimes that there is hardly anything visual at the moment itself. But still there is something - some form of awareness, of which it is possible to sort of reconstruct the visual scene afterwards.

But sometimes the vision itself is indeed breathtaking. The most impressive one was one time with Varda, and I asked her if she could appear in a more regular, recognisable form: until then I had only ever been aware of here in a very abstracted sense.
And so she did. It was one of the times that I was completely taken by surprise: it was as if an image blossomed out of nowhere, of her face, surrounded by stars, eyes closed and looking very serene. It was absolutely breathtaking, and it came completely unexpected.

But usually the images are secondary - the primary sensation is more like another type of awareness, that I cannot describe very well. It is something that combines a spatial awareness that includes almost all senses, and sometimes visual as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I still found something off with the Trees .. they were too small, I suppose. So I did more work on that, created a few layers of hill scenery in front of them and tweaked the perspective a bit so they seem a couple of times as large.
Now only some work on the foreground remains - I like the grass but it is still somewhat too regular and "cultivated".

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:43 pm

and yet another version .... I just love it when a plan comes together. Or who was that again who said that :)

We just had a busy patch because some Canadian family came over here on holidays all at the same time, which was nice but also a bit busy!
When this one's done I can finally start on the Tiger one for Dave.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:07 pm

and as far as I'm concerned, the final version. At least for the time being.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Outstanding!

Love the inclusion of the Pleiades cluster.

LostBoy
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post by LostBoy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 am

Luthien - I had your latest picture on my screen when my roommate came in. It takes up pretty much the entire screen so there's NO context as to what it is, and besides, he's never read Tolkien and only saw one of the movies. He just stopped and looked at it and the first thing out of his mouth was, "That happened somewhere." I was shocked and I just said "What?" and he continued, "That's a real place, somewhere - that really happened. I've seen it before. Like from over on that hill."

Well, there you go. He's spiritual and open-minded, obviously, to even say something like that outright, but not super woo-woo. He's Buddhist and does meditation and is pretty down to earth. That's why this seriously surprised me to see him react like that. Thought you'd appreciate this.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 am

@Dave - thanks! I felt they were somehow appropriate, even though they show at least ten times too large and too bright Though I try to reproduce the essence of the place as I experience it, it's not completely 1-on-1: as that I included that hint of Tirion; and also that I never saw Valmar that clear.
But maybe a 1-on-1 factual representation doesn't make a lot of sense applied to the imaginal :) (as also clearly shows from Tolkien's experience)

@Lostboy - thanks for sharing that! That's indeed remarkable. Something like that happened before when I showed some other drawings to a Tolkien illustrator who said something like "that's odd ... it is as of you've actually been there".

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Lúthien wrote:@Dave - thanks! I felt they were somehow appropriate, even though they show at least ten times too large and too bright Though I try to reproduce the essence of the place as I experience it, it's not completely 1-on-1: as that I included that hint of Tirion; and also that I never saw Valmar that clear.
But maybe a 1-on-1 factual representation doesn't make a lot of sense applied to the imaginal :) (as also clearly shows from Tolkien's experience)
Yes, I agree.

If you have ever read any of those "science in Tolkien" articles, you may have noticed that some people claim that he made 'erroneous' claims for the acuity of Elven vision, but that is only true if one considers optics only and not the neurological system that is processing that visual data-stream. Here is a representative example: [link].

What am I saying?

I'm saying that considering optical physics only, as in the linked article, doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. Consider this article on visual acuity:
[...] The smallest misalignment that we can reliably discern is known as our Vernier acuity. So how small is it? Under ideal conditions, Vernier acuity may be just 3 seconds of visual angle! Note that there are 60 minutes per degree of visual angle and 60 seconds per minute. What this means is that an observer can reliably judge the direction of offset when the offset subtends an angle of just 1/3600 of a degree on the eye! This performance is even more remarkable when you consider that even the smallest foveal cones have a diameter of about 30 seconds, and are separated from each other by about 30 seconds. Recall also that the optics of the eye blur the image of a thin line over a number cones, and that the eyes are in constant motion, and this performance appears even more remarkable.

As remarkable as Vernier acuity might seem, it, and the other hyperacuities (sometimes also called “position” acuities) do not defy the laws of physics. Bill Geisler (2003) has calculated that if you placed a hypothetical machine (known as an ideal observer) at the retina, and if this machine knew precisely the pattern of photons absorbed by the retinal photoreceptors when the stripes were aligned or misaligned, then this machine could actually perform a lot better than even the best humans. So, the information about the Vernier offset is present in the pattern of photons absorbed by the photoreceptors; however, humans must be able to interpret the information despite the constant motion of the eyes. Several lines of evidence suggest that Vernier acuity is ultimately performed by size and orientation pattern analyzers in the visual cortex.
[link]

{Bolding of the last sentence mine.}

As a practical example, it seems this girl could indeed see the moons of Jupiter with her naked eye:
[...] E. Talmadge Mentall of Dorchester, Massachusetts, related the following incident in a letter to me dated November 18, 1975. A few years ago, Mr. Mentall was standing on his back porch with his eight-year-old daughter, Valerie. They had just finished putting together a small refracting telescope, and he focused it on Jupiter. He explained to his daughter that when she looked into the telescope she would see the moons extending upwards from the planet. But she replied, “No, Daddy, the moons go down from Jupiter.” Mr. Mentall then noticed that she was gazing into the sky, and he asked whether she could see the moons without the telescope. Valerie replied, “Yes, they’re real tiny, right next to Jupiter.”
[link]

Tharkûn
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post by Tharkûn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I am an instant huge fan(atic) of your art. Very good, breathtaking..... that last piece you posted, words elude me. That painting I will meditate on for years to come. You have a rare talent, do you still make these? Exemplary art.
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no."-Gildor Inglorion

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I can answer this question, as Luthien either is on a holiday or is just returning from one, but in any case is six hours in advance of me, so it's after 1AM for her.

Yes, she's still working on various artworks. We're going to make some slideshow videos similar to this one I made for my daughter last Turuhalme/Yule/Christmas, but with her artwork included:

http://we.tl/tAsREhN3UU {~93 MB; link expires in 7 days}

Tharkûn
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post by Tharkûn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Just watched it... I had a sensation that I have only experienced about a dozen times: An intense tingling sensation at the very top of my head. It has happened before, when I have come in contact with (now I believe to be) Maiar while doing mundane activities, trances and right before a deep revelation (Maiar or Valar or Eldar communicating the revelation). Another interesting thing, this sensation is found throughout different spiritual paths, even found in the book I read last week ;) Most traditions attribute this sensation arising internally. IMO the presence (energy) of Maiar, Valar and/or Eldar could induce this sensation within, depending on the person, as with most things.

It has been a while since that has happened, I owe you one. This was a deep revelation, I belong here. =)

~Âkminrûk zu~
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no."-Gildor Inglorion

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:28 pm

I know exactly what you mean. This happens to me oftentimes as well, and even on unexpected occasions.
I'm glad it has that effect :)