If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Christians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.

We have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Regards
DL

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:21 pm
[...]does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies?
I'm an Anarchist, and most other Anarchists would probably say no, but for me the answer is yes. Especially when confronted with an abomination like Donald Trump, who is pretty much the existential opposite of everything a black-block Anarchist {Platformist variant} stands for.

That doesn't make me too popular with most of the neighbors in my red state here, but as a person who is also on the autism spectrum, that doesn't concern me too much (my internal dialog is along the lines of, "I pay scant attention to the prattle of the ordinary humans").

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)

Re: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Meneldur Olvarion wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 am
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:21 pm
[...]does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies?
I'm an Anarchist, and most other Anarchists would probably say no, but for me the answer is yes. Especially when confronted with an abomination like Donald Trump, who is pretty much the existential opposite of everything a black-block Anarchist {Platformist variant} stands for.

That doesn't make me too popular with most of the neighbors in my red state here, but as a person who is also on the autism spectrum, that doesn't concern me too much (my internal dialog is along the lines of, "I pay scant attention to the prattle of the ordinary humans").
Popular is good but being true to ones beliefs is better.

Gnostic Christians, have always criticised those ideologies they found immoral.

I think it nice that Christians cannot do Inquisitions any more as I think we have always thought that doing that was kosher. Hence our use of the word demiurge.

How about religions? Do you engage them in the more fundamental sites?

Regards
DL

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi DL,

good questions.
I think yes, one should oppose evil. But how, that's the question ...
This subject evokes so many thoughts ... it's a pity that I cannot type very well atm.

But in short, I think it's important to realise what evil *is*; and how it is facilitated (two very different things). I think that much of the facilitating happens because of people's tendencies to be a member of a group; the antidote for that is individuation. For the root of evil, well .. that's harder. I would be much interested in talking about it, but its probably best to wait until I regain the use of my right hand again (around Christmas).
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Lúthien

Seems we both have a hand problem. I just had a treatment to remove a growth in my hand that supposedly only Vikings get. I was surprised to know I had Viking blood.

Nice that you think you should fight evil. The tool I use is arguments just as Gnostic Christians of the past used.

The problem I come up against is that many put their tribal connection ahead of their morals.

Gnostic Christians tend to be able to out argue Abrahamic theists but that does not seem to shake them out of their immoral creeds.

I do not get that you actively engage theists much. A shame that.

Regards
DL

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm
A shame? In the sense that I should be ashamed, you mean?

I don’t recall stating that I actively engage anyone for that matter. Actually. It’s rather pointless, because people don’t change their beliefs if you tell them to. And rightfully so, I should add.
You’ll have to present them a better alternative.
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am

Lúthien wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 am
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm
A shame? In the sense that I should be ashamed, you mean?

I don’t recall stating that I actively engage anyone for that matter. Actually. It’s rather pointless, because people don’t change their beliefs if you tell them to. And rightfully so, I should add.
You’ll have to present them a better alternative.
That is what Gnostic Christianity is.

My use of shame was more for pity to the others who will not hear of our enlightening religion.

But in a sense, since Gnostic Christianity has always argued against the evils of Christianity, if you and I were in the same church, I would apply pity to you as I would see you as forgetting that for the evils of other religions to grow, all good people have to do is nothing.

In Gnostic Christianity, and our use of the word demiurge, we automatically incite debates on Yahweh, who we see as a vile demiurge.

That is one of the main moral lessons in Gnostic Christianity. No?

Regards
DL