Gondolin music

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Gondolin music

Post by Lúthien » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

This piece is the result of one of the Nost-na-Lothian meditations, (imaginally) visiting the city of Gondolin.
I found myself on a street and became aware of music being made in a very particular way: people singing the same piece together though not actually standing close together in a group as it is usually done, but from wherever they happened to be at that moment. It is as if they were part of one musical consciousness that allowed a complex piece to be performed even when doing something else, or as if the music was so familiar that it could be performed automatically.

I heard voices coming from different houses or side-streets, drifting down from further up the city, all blending together. Now and then things alternated because a theme was picked up by someone else, which gave the impression of that theme travelling through the city.
It was really remarkable.

I noted down a very crude piano version some time ago when in the train, and later Dave asked me if I could make some music for a project he was working on about Gondolin. This is still unfinished I'm afraid, though I hope we can pick it up again.

This is the last draft version I created, it is rendered as an instrumental piece, though what I heard was mostly vocal:

A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!