An interesting blog, "The Flame Imperishable"

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

An interesting blog, "The Flame Imperishable"

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 am

This person was mentioned in this morning's The Notion Club Papers blog by Professor Bruce G Charlton (the Mormon guy). Apparently, he has just published a book by the same name, and a little Google-fu brought me to his blog: [link]. It has generally interesting entries; as an example:
The Pacifist of Wootton Major
Posted on September 20, 2017

From J.R.R. Tolkien’s short story, Smith of Wootton Major:

“He soon became wise and understood that the marvels of Faery cannot be approached without danger, and that many of the Evils cannot be challenged without weapons of power too great for any mortal to wield. He remained a learner and explorer, not a warrior; and though in time he could have forged weapons that in his own world would have had power enough to become the matter of great tales and be worth a king’s ransom, he knew that in Faery they would have been of small account. So among all the things that he made it is not remembered that he ever forged a sword or a spear or an arrow-head.”

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: An interesting blog, "The Flame Imperishable"

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am

Oops, I see that Luthien had already found this one late last year. For whatever reason, I didn't remember perusing it.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: An interesting blog, "The Flame Imperishable"

Post by Lúthien » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes, I found it alsmost together with that Notion Club Papers blog, of that guy who makes a lot of sense as long as he's writing about this subject; but as soon as he ventures into something contemporary he gets extremely prickly about 'political correctness'. I agree that PC can be pretty silly and annoying, but I can't fathom why anyone would consider it the root of all evil. I consider it more something like contemporary R&B music.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!