The Lost Gospels (BBC documentary)

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

The Lost Gospels (BBC documentary)

Post by Lúthien » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm

(comment taken from gnosis.org)

A ninety minute long BBC video documentary (released in 2008, and available in nine YouTube segments) which follows the personal quest of Anglican priest Pete Owen Jones to understand the many ancient Christian texts that didn't make it into the New Testament. The focus is principally on the Gnostic texts found at Nag Hammadi. This is an entertaining and educational introduction to the Gnostic Gospels; it is both well researched and nicely produced, with extensive location filming in Egypt. (Rev. Jones dresses in beads and jeans -- and not clerical collar -- for the entire show.) Take time to sit down and watch all of this video. (More information and program notes available at the BBC web site).

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: The Lost Gospels (BBC documentary)

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 am

Looks cool; I will be sure to watch.

///Dave

P.S. For those who don't know about this service, there is a way to 'stitch' these multi-part videos together. To do that, you just go to your location field containing the URL and append 'multi' to the end of 'youtube', forming "www.youtubemulti.com/*". Then after you press enter, you enter the number of consecutive segments you want it to retrieve in the little box at the upper right, and then you can watch the videos without significant interruption or manual intervention.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 am

I didn't know that, thanks!

Deep blue ocean
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

Post by Deep blue ocean » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 am

Davy Willis Lee wrote:Looks cool; I will be sure to watch.

///Dave

P.S. For those who don't know about this service, there is a way to 'stitch' these multi-part videos together. To do that, you just go to your location field containing the URL and append 'multi' to the end of 'youtube', forming "www.youtubemulti.com/*". Then after you press enter, you enter the number of consecutive segments you want it to retrieve in the little box at the upper right, and then you can watch the videos without significant interruption or manual intervention.
Dave, this is an utterly brilliant trick. I am using it even now to watch the documentary

Deep blue ocean
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

Post by Deep blue ocean » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Just listened to all the installments. Much of this is quite familiar to me, with one glaring exception: my next stop shall have to be studying the gospel of Thomas.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Yeah, the Gospel of Thomas is cool, although for me I got a lot more out of it (i.e., it made much more sense) after I began my entheogenic shamanism enterprise.

Re: YTmulti -- I recently discovered this myself. I found a few scripts on userscripts.org purporting to auto-append the URL and some to pass the number of segments datum along to the YTmulti service site via javascript, but none of them actually worked. I was looking for a way to make a "one-click stitcher" for these segmented videos for my 5-year-old daughter.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:10 am

Davy Willis Lee wrote:[...] P.S. For those who don't know about this service, there is a way to 'stitch' these multi-part videos together.
One can also use this script [link]

The GUI defaults to French, but English is also selectable.

This one does not work via the same mechanism -- it uses a streaming proxy, but because of this, more options are available (no ads and automatic multi-part video stitching for one; smoother HD playback for another (at least in my experience)).

///Dave