Reflections on evolution and humankind's perception of reality

nature - philosophy - astronomy - ...
Mildir
Seaman (Experienced poster)
Seaman (<i>Experienced poster</i>)

Reflections on evolution and humankind's perception of reality

Post by Mildir » Thu May 10, 2018 4:39 pm

What is evolution?
I mean, why do things become better (or worse, but I'd call that "regression") instead of keeping their shape?
Why can't they just stay the way they are?
I think this is a question mistreated by most traditional theorists: I've read works such as On the Origin of Species by Darwin and I find that in everyone of them the concept of "evolution" overlaps so much the one of "adaptation".
But what if the two things weren't in fact the same?
What if adaptation were just one kind of evolution, or just a single aspect of it?
I think that thanks to Darwin the majority of us think that we evolve to adapt ourselves, but what if this weren't the main reason? :hmm:

Personally, I think that evolution may be the most evident (and I'd say almost "undeniable") clue that the purpose of life is perfection.
In his book Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Bach tells that "heaven is not a place, and it is not a time. Heaven is being perfect".
I find this is one of the most insightful statements of our times.
Where else could we feel best but in a state of perfection?
The idea that what many call "heaven" is indeed a state has been in my mind since I was born.
And - this is what I wanted to get at - my personal gnostic experience tells me that that state is the final goal of evolution.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, as I see it, evolution is nothing but the process of reaching the purpose of life: perfection.
And I think this process concerns the whole universe, not just living creatures such as ourselves.
You already know (or, if you don't, you may want to have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=1346) that I see every form of existence as an infinitesimal part of God.
Everyone, ever since I could talk, has tried to convince me of an extremely logical-sounding idea: God is perfect.
And here's what instead my heart always told me: God is evolving.
Has any of you ever thought that God Himself may be evolving? :D

I would like to know your opinion on these matters.
Besides, there is another question which I think is very disregarded: Does evolution have an evolution of its own?
In other words: does the way we evolve evolve itself?
Can something that helps us evolve later become a defect, something we need to leave behind?
A simple example: we recognize reality through eyesight.
We see something and we tell "this is real".
But what if eyesight had been made to help us look inside ourselves, to help us activate our inner sight (or "heartsight") in order to see things we could never see with our eyes (e.g.: roaming thoughts outside and inside other people's minds, spirits and the like)?
We have evolved mostly by means of what our eyes saw, at least so far.
Because we've learnt through it and learning has made us more advanced.
Maybe the next step of evolution is realizing that all our eyes see is just the surface, even if they look into a microscope, and that we need a new kind of sight in order to see further down...
There could lie new things to learn, I think, things the surface could never teach us. :)
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)