Above, Below, Within: Gnosticism and Witchcraft

including those referred to as 'spiritual' by those concerned
Broken_Mirror33
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

Above, Below, Within: Gnosticism and Witchcraft

Post by Broken_Mirror33 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:40 pm

I have recently begun reading a book recommended by Miguel in an "Abraxas Brief": Above, Below, Within. So, I thought it would make a good forum discussion. In particular, the book brings up a novel take on the supernatural, which I have never even considered. The idea that the planets cause effects here on Earth that are beyond the realm of scientific understanding.

Now, I would call that "supernatural," wouldn't you? Of course, the author's notion is much more nuanced than that and he does make a compelling argument, but that's the gist of it. He also uses this understanding as the basis of a system of magic and claims all magical systems are based on it. (I don't know about you, but this book brings out the "Elven" in me.)

But I want to hear others' takes on the matter:
If the planets are, indeed, responsible for producing these "magical" effects here on Earth, would you consider this as a supernatural phenomenon?

...Almost forgot, here's the link to the 'Abraxas Brief' (you can pick up the book in the show notes):
https://youtu.be/rBLdkWXPHQU

Mildir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Re: Above, Below, Within: Gnosticism and Witchcraft

Post by Mildir » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm

In my opinion "supernatural" is a word bound to a world we ought to leave behind: the world in which "nature" means "all we know and can explain" and everything beyond this is "supernatural"... S)
There may be a thousand different realities, but there is only one nature.
Which implies that nothing is above it, nothing breaks it.

I would have a lot to say about ceremonial magic... I prefer not to do it here, though... :D
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Broken_Mirror33
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

Re: Above, Below, Within: Gnosticism and Witchcraft

Post by Broken_Mirror33 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm

There definitely is a supernatural and there must be if science is to evolve. Because there are most certainly things with which science cannot answer and these things by definition are "supernatural" phenomena. Realize, science still cannot fully explain space and time, which are fundamental to our understanding of anything. As for the word itself (a matter of semantics), I am neutral here. The supernatural doesn't "break" nature it breaks our understanding of nature--it implies it must be reexamined and explained in further detail (in light of new evidence). So what? Simply rewrite the science books. Like the recent discovery of gravity waves, which in my opinion, shows Minkowski spacetime to be false or just a mathematical model which doesn't accurately portray nature.

I respect your opinion, but my opinion is that science describes the least of things; the least of what something is. The spiritual bows to the endless in everything; the mystery.