mrpasserby
Mariner (New poster)
Mariner (<i>New poster</i>)

Re: Why 'The Central Myths'?

Post by mrpasserby » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 am

'
Übermensch wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:06 pm
’ Someone once said, the curse of the Gnostics is that they have eyes to see, and ears to hear.
The idea is to transcend religion, transcend to a higher level of consciousness, a higher reality. In doing so, we define our own meaning and values, in a similar fashion as Jung did and also the Gnostics. ‘

The following comments are based on experiential knowledge and are referring to Jung and Gnosticism only, any added references to anyone or anything else are coincidental to the original text. If any of my comments are Highlighted in bold within the non italicized text, that is the portion within a sentence or paragraph that I am referring to.
A spirit quest the mythical archetype of which is the #'wild hunt', is only possible to achieve by a person who has transcended, because the state required to go on a spirit quest has to my knowledge only been achieved by those who have risen above the normal frames of thought that occur in everyday life. The act(s) of initiation that are employed by a person or group have to all be pointed toward priming the pump as it were of the person with a pseudo form of ‘experiential knowledge’ to facilitate the person's transcendence to the point, where a spirit quest can be achieved by them, thus ‘achieving actual experiential knowledge’, and adding to your (Gnosis).
#Others, practitioners of various forms of magic, joined in it voluntarily, as an intangible part of them (a “soul,” if you like) flew with the cavalcade while their bodies lay in their beds as if sleeping normally. http://norse-mythology.org/the-wild-hunt/
Gnosis=knowledge of spiritual mysteries: Mage=magician or learned person: Initiate=admit into a society: Magic=science yet unknown
To all I read and enjoyed all of the posts here. This thread has Really added to my Gnosis Thanks" :-)
Disclaimer:All data and information provided by @Mrpasserby is information only.I say to all,if any parts of my information seems to go against traditions that you believe in then,disregard that information.A spirit quester has to kick his own asp. :huh:

mrpasserby
Mariner (New poster)

Post by mrpasserby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Übermensch wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:06 pm
'In both cases, experience or "transcendence" is the defining feature of each and, therefore, both can be considered a non-theistic humanism, of sorts, which place an emphasis on the personal experience of the individual.
The following comments are based on experiential knowledge and are referring to Jung and Gnosticism only, any added references to anyone or anything else are coincidental to the original text. If any of my comments are Highlighted in bold within the non italicized text, that is the portion within a sentence or paragraph that I am referring to.
A spirit quest the mythical archetype of which is the #'wild hunt', is only possible to achieve by a person who has transcended, because the state required to go on a spirit quest has to my knowledge only been achieved by those who have risen above the normal frames of thought that occur in everyday life. The act(s) of initiation that are employed by a person or group have to be all pointed toward priming the pump as it were of the person with a pseudo form of ‘experiential knowledge’ to facilitate the person's transcendence to the point, where a spirit quest can be achieved by them, thus ‘achieving actual experiential knowledge’.
#Others, practitioners of various forms of magic, joined in it voluntarily, as an intangible part of them (a “soul,” if you like) flew with the cavalcade while their bodies lay in their beds as if sleeping normally. http://norse-mythology.org/the-wild-hunt/
Gnosis=knowledge of spiritual mysteries: Mage=magician or learned person: Initiate=admit into a society: Magic=science yet unknown
Disclaimer:All data and information provided by @Mrpasserby is information only.I say to all,if any parts of my information seems to go against traditions that you believe in then,disregard that information.A spirit quester has to kick his own asp. :huh:

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Übermensch wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:56 am

I will take the pragmatist route--in the manner of John Dewey--and classify the nature of this "truth" simply as experience. :)
Hi guys.

Is that kind of a simplistic view?

Not to split hairs, or perhaps I am doing so, but the truth is that we are made up of subatomic particles but we do not really experience them. They are still a part of the truth of who we are.

Some medicine men and sages say that their DNA speaks to them but that is not really saying they experience the subatomic particles that they are made of.

Regards
DL

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 pm
Some medicine men and sages say that their DNA speaks to them but that is not really saying they experience the subatomic particles that they are made of.
To be honest, I find neither the notion of being addressed by one's DNA, nor "experiencing their subatomic particles" particularly interesting or even cohesive.
I don't understand why someone who considers her- or himself a shaman (or a sage, page, mage or whatever) would dedicate themselves to mimic whatever science has already proved to be much better at, i.e. understanding the physical world.

I think that this is rather symptomatic for the lowly status that everything non-rational / Imaginal has been relegated to since science took off so successfully.
Instead of trying to be second-rate scientists and make these odd claims within the factual / rational domain (and being scorned at by the scientific community), I think that shamans should realise where they came from and fight for emancipation of the non-rational, the imaginal domain.

That is their own territory, and it very, very, very badly needs some good press.
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Gnostic Bishop
Mariner (New poster)

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Lúthien wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 pm
To be honest, I find neither the notion of being addressed by one's DNA, nor "experiencing their subatomic particles" particularly interesting or even cohesive.
I don't understand why someone who considers her- or himself a shaman (or a sage, page, mage or whatever) would dedicate themselves to mimic whatever science has already proved to be much better at, i.e. understanding the physical world.

I think that this is rather symptomatic for the lowly status that everything non-rational / Imaginal has been relegated to since science took off so successfully.
Instead of trying to be second-rate scientists and make these odd claims within the factual / rational domain (and being scorned at by the scientific community), I think that shamans should realise where they came from and fight for emancipation of the non-rational, the imaginal domain.

That is their own territory, and it very, very, very badly needs some good press.
That shaman was just answering a scientist who was wondering how the shaman had decided that a certain herb was good medicine. We know that bio feedback works and they have perhaps taken it to the max.

I agree that good press would be beneficial.

Regards
DL

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 am

Lúthien wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm
[...] To be honest, I find neither the notion of being addressed by one's DNA, nor "experiencing their subatomic particles" particularly interesting or even cohesive.

I very much doubt many traditional medicine people/shamans make that equivalency. To me, it seems to be more like the behavior that people who have been raised in global Western culture often engage in, in what seems to me to be a subconscious attempt to 'legitimize' what the Science of the time considers fringe, or outright false, or merely uninteresting.

To someone like me who was born into that culture but is not of it and engages with it only on a necessary basis, it seems very much a culture bound syndrome. Southeast Asia has their "shrinking penis" syndrome, and Western culture has its "let's give this phenomenon Scientific bling!!" syndrome.

It takes somewhat different forms, there is the Scientific bling morphology, but also a form that some people who don't dismiss Native belief system outright use by claiming to be a member of a tribal society without evidence. One Native blogger I follow has termed it "{becoming a} Sudden Indian", which is both funny and accurate. [link]

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am

Ah, that’s a funny read! And very universal, people are very eager to bend or break reality in order to acquire Cool Credits just about everywhere they feel it will increase their status.

I suppose he read “Bluff your way into Indianess” :D
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!