Journeys through the Senses and Unconscious Symbolism

Experiences that elude rational thought
Brett
Sailor (Regular poster)
Sailor (<i>Regular poster</i>)

Journeys through the Senses and Unconscious Symbolism

Post by Brett »

Among the other topics that interest me, I noticed there was not a thread for discussing extra-mundane experiences or unconscious symbolism. Therefore, I would like to post a new topic to open up further discussion in this area. Why does this topic interest me? Well, at least for me, the most important reasons to explore this topic are in the interests of archetypes, collective symbolism, and the unconscious. So what qualifies as a relevant experience for the purposes of this topic? Well, here is a proposed list: dreams, active imagination, lucid dreams, experiences pertaining to religious symbolism, meditation experiences of a symbolic nature, or otherworldly visions. (I think that encompasses the full spectrum, but feel free to share if you think there's something I missed.) However, for the purposes of this topic, let's please refrain from sharing transcendental experiences--which are of a non-symbolic nature by the way. Aside from being notoriously difficult to either define or describe, I feel those are a bit too personal. We are simply looking for something more than the mundane, but certainly less than the extraordinary.

*Also, since I would like to focus on those experiences relevant to unconscious symbolism, let's please stay clear of experiences pertaining to the paranormal, at least insofar as it pertains to external manifestations. That is, the focus here are those experiences that manifest themselves internally within consciousness.

(I have a feeling this is going to be a fun and interesting topic to explore, further posts to come, stay tuned...)
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Journeys through the Senses and Unconscious Symbolism

Post by Lúthien »

(Moderation hat on)

There's a whole section dedicated to that sort of thing. But you may not have access to that, I'll fix that.

I'll also moving this post there, leaving a shadow topic.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Just a note: we've been doing (and are doing) this in the Tolkien-related board for several years (reports of experiences / active imagination / meditation / other techniques; techniques to help accomplishing that).
I feel it's way more important than any (scholarly) discussions one might have.
Words never seem to fully capture the experience anyhow, so it might work to share drawings or other renditions as well.

Note though that,in order to respect the privacy of the past and present members whose reports are in there, access to the subforums in question is restricted to those who explicitly want to pursue that sort of thing.
Brett
Sailor (Regular poster)

Post by Brett »

Grin Grin, Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Say No More ;)
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Are you insinuating something?
Taurandir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Post by Taurandir »

Übermensch wrote:However, for the purposes of this topic, let's please refrain from sharing transcendental experiences--which are of a non-symbolic nature by the way. Aside from being notoriously difficult to either define or describe, I feel those are a bit too personal. We are simply looking for something more than the mundane, but certainly less than the extraordinary.
The difficulty here would be that the symbolism might not be immediately apparent to the conscious mind. Sometimes these things have to percolate.
Also, since I would like to focus on those experiences relevant to unconscious symbolism, let's please stay clear of experiences pertaining to the paranormal, at least insofar as it pertains to external manifestations. That is, the focus here are those experiences that manifest themselves internally within consciousness.
I would think paranormal experience would also be okay as long as it was accepted that the experience was only being considered as a manifestation of the psyche. Whether it was internal or external is irrelevant because everything is contained within the psyche; but hey, it's your party. I don't have any paranormal experiences to report by the way.
Übermensch wrote:Grin Grin, Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Say No More
and then Lúthien wrote:Are you insinuating something?
He means he understands you completely and he's honored to be entrusted with the material contained in the more restricted areas of the forums, and he will of course respect others privacy like the professional psychologist he aspires to be. Did I get that about right, Übermensch?
-Raúl
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Actually, it's the line that's supposed to be the answer to the "nudge nudge" line in the Monty Python sketch:

It's at 1:53

https://youtu.be/AGrvQ1c5khU

:)
Brett
Sailor (Regular poster)

Post by Brett »

Taurandir wrote:Whether it was internal or external is irrelevant because everything is contained within the psyche
That's a very phenomenological perspective, I like the way your mind works Taurandir! (I think I was referring to the more cheesy side of the paranormal, like ghost hunting type phenomena, while there may be a synchronistic element to these types of events, I think they are largely a part of the external environment.)
Taurandir wrote:He means he understands you completely and he's honored to be entrusted with the material contained in the more restricted areas of the forums, and he will of course respect others privacy like the professional psychologist he aspires to be. Did I get that about right, Übermensch?
Yeah, what Taurandir said. :)

Good call on the Monty Python skit, Lúthien!
Taurandir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Post by Taurandir »

Lúthien wrote:Actually, it's the line that's supposed to be the answer to the "nudge nudge" line in the Monty Python sketch:
Arghh! I caught the reference, but thought you missed it. You win this time Lúthien!
-Raúl