The Future of this Forum

Discussions and backgrounds of the current change of focus (more or less) back to the original Ilsalunte Valion forum
Lomelindo
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

The Future of this Forum

Post by Lomelindo »

Is there any timeline around switching the forum back to a Tolkien focus?

I have been going back and forth with Mildir which was interesting since he has a lot of unverifiable personal gnosis.

I mean I have studied Gnosticism in the past and one of my favorites is Valentinus and I can certainly see some similarities but also differences.

I'm also looking forward to doing more Cirth work as well as developing some Valar-centric guided journeys by intoning the Valarin names of the Valar and Maiar and shamanic journeys to Tol Eressea and Valinor.

Or perhaps you can give me access to those areas?

Let me know your thoughts on this.
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” - Haldir

“We’re not in decent places.” Gollum
Mildir

Re: The Future of this Forum

Post by Mildir »

I don't know if in these times of fall we are prepared to practice gnosis the way many years ago Lúthien and Meneldur practiced it (in group and, if needed, helping one another to become familiar with the Imaginal).
Far less complicated things are being used in a horrible way.
But if they plan to do it again any time in the future... we might as well publicize it a bit, telling others what it's like (e.g.: interview to Meneldur: what's it like to enter Mandos in the Imaginal ? Is there a stone door or is it just a spiritual realm ? :D )*, so if someone thinks this may enrich their life, they'll join...

*To avoid any misunderstanding: I'm joking, and I also know the answer could vary. But consider this: telling others how beautiful or peculiar an experience has been may help them get into the mood of trying it.
Theory is not enough, as I see it, emotions are (almost) always needed...
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Hello Lomelindo,

I guess your question is now implicitly answered!
We'll work out the structure of the forum in the coming time I guess, as I think that a number of forums and topics should be merged (e.g. the two poetry forums surely can be merged under IV's "Open Discussions", and ditto for some of the other topics under the Virtual Alexandria's "gnosis" forum.
I think I already gave you answer to the Cirth forum, but let me know if you have problems.

I'm glad this task is behind me, and I look forward to participating in discussions more than I could in the past weeks.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!
Lomelindo

Post by Lomelindo »

Lúthien!

Thank you! I will go through all the sections to see how far we got and to see any observations that were made.
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” - Haldir

Lomelindo

Post by Lomelindo »

Mildir wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm
I don't know if in these times of fall we are prepared to practice gnosis the way many years ago Lúthien and Meneldur practiced it (in group and, if needed, helping one another to become familiar with the Imaginal).
But if they plan to do it again any time in the future... we might as well publicize it a bit, telling others what it's like (e.g.: interview to Meneldur: what's it like to enter Mandos in the Imaginal ? Is there a stone door or is it just a spiritual realm ? :D )*, so if someone thinks this may enrich their life, they'll join...

*To avoid any misunderstanding: I'm joking, and I also know the answer could vary. But consider this: telling others how beautiful or peculiar an experience has been may help them get into the mood of trying it.
Well I will be delving into it even if I am the only one because I think my path lies here. All are welcome to experiment with different methods

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Mildir wrote:
Actually, I never stopped doing that ;)
Mildir wrote:
I suppose they are: think about things like bricks, yelling and what passes as "music" in the minds of some music industry executives.
But the link with whatever we were doing eludes me for now!
Mildir wrote:
Believe it or not, but that is the reason this forum was created :)
Or one of the reasons, anyhow.
Mildir wrote:
B*To avoid any misunderstanding: I'm joking, and I also know the answer could vary. But consider this: telling others how beautiful or peculiar an experience has been may help them get into the mood of trying it.
Well, that is true, and I'm not joking about that!
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion »

Mildir wrote:
[...] I don't know if in these times of fall we are prepared to practice gnosis the way many years ago Lúthien and Meneldur practiced it (in group and, if needed, helping one another to become familiar with the Imaginal). Far less complicated things are being used in a horrible way.
I have no theoretical objection to this idea. I might be nice to have collective observances again, with a more gnostic/Valarin focus, as T-e has the "elven peepz an' whut dey wantz" arena covered. Now, in the past when we had a large influx of new people after branching off form T-e it was like trying to, well, herd cats:

But I think now with more dedicated people, it should be doable. Assuming there is mutual interest.
Lomelindo

Post by Lomelindo »

Like the cats of Queen Beruthiel!

I would love to do virtual rituals or guided meditation again. I remember that in the past these kinds of rituals were pretty powerful.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion »

Lomelindo wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:02 am
Like the cats of Queen Beruthiel!
:D
I would love to do virtual rituals or guided meditation again. I remember that in the past these kinds of rituals were pretty powerful.
Yeah, I remember that your Valarin names added quite a bit of extra punch, and that was when I was less experienced at the liminal arts than I am now. I may still have that document somewhere in my Legendarium database. (I'm in the process of transferring files from my old HP to a new laptop, as the HP is breathing its last.)
Lomelindo

Post by Lomelindo »

Here is my list

Mildir also has his own list plus I found another site with another take on the Valarin names so we now have three lists to work with. I am planning on doing a comparison on the three lists.

Attachments
4F7378ED-77E8-4FAB-9423-8E4482640CDD.jpeg

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Lomelindo wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:02 am
i second that.

Btw - thanks for posting that video! I have seen it before but I couldn't remember what it was from ... it's brilliant, especially the details: at one point you see a guy trying to coax several cats out of a tree, and in another shot one of those 'cowboys' is using some sort of fancy roller to remove cat hair from his vest :D