More moving things around

The topics from the Virtual Alexandria forum are now merged with the main forum.
This came with more moving things around. Sorry if this causes any confusion: I promise this will settle down soon!

Still, nothing should be missing. As always, please let me know if you miss anything and I'll try and fix it.

Oh yes, and HAPPY 2021! :)

Neo-Pagan/New Ager (mis-) use of the word 'energy'

Feel free to discuss anything here, but keep it guest-friendly ;)
Forum rules
Keep in mind that everything posted in this sub-forum is visible for the outside world
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Neo-Pagan/New Ager (mis-) use of the word 'energy'

Post by Meneldur Olvarion »

This is one of my old pet peeves, though I came upon the video linked below via a different route than direct Googling. I recently began following this autistic vlogger because she has a number of videos on what it's like to be a girl on the spectrum, and as my daughter Elanor is entering her teenage years, I find these interesting in an anthropological sense.

Anyway, this lady did a Halloween video last fall (thus its humorous beginning) and interviewed a self-described witch on the spectrum as her guest. If you watch it, you'll see that if the word 'energy' was a leaf, they'd be thick upon the ground by its end. I find that annoying because in Science, energy has a very specific meaning. If we are really talking about energy, then it would only makes sense to ask how many ergs a given spell emits?

This is very different than the way I think about this issue which is in terms of probabilities and patterns showing a significant variation from the expected standard deviation of an event. This is the sort of thing that can actually be measured, and I've done so a few times in specific instances, but usually don't because I'm quite good at detecting an actual signal buried in noise.

Has this use of the word 'energy' bothered anyone else, or is this just one of those Dave Woosley-specific annoyances? Note that there is nothing special about this video, other than that it encapsulates what I'm describing in one A/V source.

Mildir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Re: Neo-Pagan/New Ager (mis-) use of the word 'energy'

Post by Mildir »

Energy, vibrations ("if you vibe, you must subscribe!"), 5th dimension, unity, peace and love...  Image 
If anyone has a deep truth to tell... or simply a good story... this is how it ends up passing for another empty meme: among petty nice words that invite you to repeat them because, hey, they spare you the effort of thinking.
You open a social medium and they are just pouring in buckets, making it impossible to communicate something different and hope that your readers realise that it is.

Not only does this help people appreciate less what is truly beautiful, deep, meaningful (as they have been expecting another meme since before coming across it, which helps not realise what it really is), but this is stopping the collective thinking from developing.
It can't be just chance and I can't shake off the feeling that the masses were purposely led into it, lest someone produce something intelligent.

As for the word "energy" in itself... I think there's no special reason for it, save that it's easy to remember.
It might have been flexure, or spin, and true scientists are lucky that more interesting technical terms aren't being borrowed and made shallow... otherwise even their attempts to disclose would be degraded (at least the social media and youtube part, which still holds some value).

Memocracy is rising, I'm afraid...  $)

Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

@Mildir: I guess you're right.

It's always somewhat surprising to me when i encounter new evidence of devolution, as I normally keep pretty separate from society, even here in our small country town - to the extent that I haven't been to the central square since before Christmas (my wife does the shopping and if I want something specific I order it online). The other night I was reading a forum full of doom and gloom and had to be reminded by my wife that much of it was due to COVID-19 alterations in behavior; mine has barely changed at all.
Mildir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Post by Mildir »

Meneldur Olvarion wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:39 pm @Mildir: I guess you're right.

The other night I was reading a forum full of doom and gloom and had to be reminded by my wife that much of it was due to COVID-19 alterations in behavior; 
Sometimes I think what is happening to the mind of many people might be more worth crying over than what is happening to their body.
We've been facing death since the dawn of time: its presence never destroyed a world.
What some do with their life instead, can...
(Please don't get me wrong: I sympathize with those who lost someone or risk their life, I'm just saying even worse things might be going on)

Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

They're definitely Doomin' and Gloomin' ;)