Aldúya Mantra (Prayer)

Poetical expressions of facets of the spirit of Ilsaluntë Valion.
Hostawen

Aldúya Mantra (Prayer)

Post by Hostawen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 am

This was inspired by the Gayatri Mantra of India. It was written in honor of Aldúya, the original fourth day of the Elvish week, dedicated to the of the memory of the Two Trees of Valinor. Which corresponds to our Wednesday * (edited based on Dave's post).

New Version ... (thanks Dineen!) Lirin,
Eä Cemen, Eä Palurin
Eä Menel, Eä Eärendil
Eä Tindómë, Eä Undómë
Eä Aman, Eä Cuiviénen
Eä Telperion, Eä Laurelin.
Calya-sámarlva.
Aiya.
Translation:
I sing/chant,
To be the Earth (lit. soil), To be the World of Vastness (lit. the wide world)
To be the Heavens, To be The Bright (lit. Venus)
To be the Starry Twilight (lit. dawn), To be the Evening Twilight
To be World of the Gods (lit. Valinor), To be the Water of Awakening
To be the Silver Tree, To be the Golden Tree
Illuminate our minds. (my Quenya translation might be wrong on this line)
May it be/Hail.
-------------------------------------------
Original Mantra...
Lirin,
Aiya Cemen, Aiya Palurin
Aiya Menel, Aiya Eärendil
Aiya Tindómë, Aiya Undómë
Aiya Aman, Aiya Cuiviénen
Aiya Telperion, Aiya Laurelin.
Calya-sámarlva.
Eä.
Translation:
I sing/chant,
Hail Earth (lit. soil), Hail World of Vastness (lit. the wide world)
Hail the Heavens, Hail The Bright (lit. Venus)
Hail Starry Twilight (lit. dawn), Hail Evening Twilight
Hail World of the Gods (lit. Valinor), Hail Water of Awakening
Hail Silver Tree, Hail Golden Tree
Illuminate our minds. (my Quenya translation might be wrong on this line)
May it be.

Eadhastar

Re: Aldúya Mantra (Prayer)

Post by Eadhastar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 am

ooooo I love love love this, girl.  :D I am so going to use this myself! It feels very "right". xx

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Suilad Hostawen,
I can cross check 'Calya-salmarlva' for you and get back to you on it.  If I come up empty, would you be alright with me running the phrase past my Linguistic group?
                                                                      Eruannlass
I Aear cân ven na mar ~ 'The Sea calls us Home.'

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
~ e e cummings

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Hostawen wrote: This was inspired by the Gayatri Mantra of India. It was written in honor of Aldúya, the original fourth day of the Elvish week, dedicated to the of the memory of the Two Trees of Valinor. Which corresponds to our Tuesday, correct?
That depends on how you define the 'High-day' of our seven-day week.  If you go to the beginning of the Abrahamic religions, you come to Judaism, and their Sabbath day (translation of shabbat (שבת), "to cease"), which runs from sunset on our Friday to sunset on Saturday.  (The Jews also, as many ancient cultures, reckoned a "day" from sunset to sunset rather than the middle of the night.)

So given this, and the following two quotes from Appendix 'D', LOTR {The Calendrical Appendix}:
The six-day week of the Eldar had days dedicated to, or named after, the Stars, the Sun, the Moon, the Two Trees, the Heavens,
and the Valar or Powers, in that order, the last day being the chief day of the week. Their names in Quenya were Elenya, Anarya, Isilya, Aldúya, Menelya, Valanya (or Táríon ); the Sindarin names were Orgilion, Oranor, Orithil, Orgaladhad, Ormenel, Orbelain (or Rodyn ).
The Númenoreans retained the dedications and order, but altered the fourth day to Aldëa (Orgaladh) with reference to the White Tree only, of which Nimloth that grew in the King's Court in Númenor was believed to be a descendant. Also desiring a seventh day, and being great mariners, they inserted a "Sea-day', Eärenya (Oraearon), after the Heavens' Day.
So, for the Númenorean week, we have then: Elenya, Anarya, Isilya, Aldúya/Aldëa, Menelya, Eärenya, Valanya.  This gives us a seven-day week so that we aren't comparing apples to oranges.

Since Valanya is the high-day, we then count backwards: Saturday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday.  I would say our Wednesday.

If you are using the Germanic roots of our weekday names, then you would have a different arrangement, but it may not makes sense mathematically.

This is why we don't have a named-day system in IV, although I believe they do within T-e (or they did when I was in it).

///Dave

P.S. Thanks to everyone for contributing interesting material.  For a while there, it was just the Officers of IV posting back & forth.  You new people have really caused us (or me, certainly) to think in new directions.  This is why I believe that group projects are best, because one person, however talented, can only think of so much.

When you all are promoted to full Crewmate status, then you will be able to see all of our material.

Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Niennildi Oarnen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:33 pm

For comparison here is the Sanskrit Gaytri mantra:

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT

and its word-for-word meaning (I prefer these to the "interpretations" because the Old Languages such as Sanskrit are so powerful that one interpretation is too little);  of course even these individual translations have many interpretations :

Aum = Brahma  (creator god)/ the Supreme name of Creator, the sound that creates/many interpretations can be given to Aum
bhoor = embodiment of vital spiritual energy (pran) ;
bhuwah = destroyer of sufferings ;
swaha = embodiment of happiness ;
tat = that ;
savitur = bright like sun ;
varenyam = best choicest ;
bhargo = destroyer of sins ;
devasya = divine ;
dheemahi = may imbibe ;
dhiyo = intellect ;
yo = who ;
naha = our ;
prachodayat = may inspire

I believe that Hostawen's Quenya version has similar power that Hostawen's translation barely hints at if you really think of the archetypal energies of the primal words used, especially since they are so full of the Creative Forces of Light, Life, Water, and so on.
Just call me Dineen.

Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Niennildi Oarnen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Hostawen,
I love this. I love mantras and I have created a simple one or two for Dave of  Quenya to use in times of stress.

The only one I can remember right now (as they are Dave's, not mine) is:

Eru as nin

The Lord is with me.

Thank you for sharing,
Dineen
Just call me Dineen.

Hostawen

Post by Hostawen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Eruannlass wrote: If I come up empty, would you be alright with me running the phrase past my Linguistic group?
That would be fine with me :) Thank you, Eruannlass! Some fantastic information Dave, the Celts also rendered days from sunset to sunset so I'm familiar with that reckoning. "This is why I believe that group projects are best, because one person, however talented, can only think of so much." Amen lol and you are certainly welcome. I love contributing where I can :)

Thanks for posting that Dineen, it seems a little longer than the one I used though. I used the one from Padma Previ's album Divine Visions.

OM Bhuhu, Om Bhuvaha (OM Earth, OM Midworld)
OM Savaha, OM Mahaha (OM Heaven, OM World of vastness)
OM Janaha, OM Tapaha (OM World of the Gods, OM World of spiritual force)
OM Satyam, OM Satyam (OM Truth, OM Truth)
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayaat (Let us meditate on that excellent light of the solar God, that he may illumine our minds)

I wanted my original mantra to say...

I sing/chant,
Hail Earth (lit. soil), Hail World of Vastness (lit. the wide world)
Hail the Heavens, Hail The Bright (lit. Venus)
Hail Starry Twilight (lit. dawn), Hail Evening Twilight
Hail World of the Gods (lit. Valinor), Hail Water of Awakening
Hail Silver Tree, Hail Golden Tree
Let us reflect on
the Light of the Two Trees

Illuminate our minds.
May it be.

But I didn't know what that would be in Quenya, I spent hours trying to find a word for 'reflect/meditate/contemplate' and gave up lol. So if you guys like that we could add it, perhaps Eruannlass could ask her Linguistic group.
I believe that Hostawen's Quenya version has similar power that Hostawen's translation barely hints at if you really think of the archetypal energies of the primal words used, especially since they are so full of the Creative Forces of Light, Life, Water, and so on.
Definitely agree with you! lol. Oh wow, I love that mantra you shared! I love the simplistic yet deep meaning mantras have.

Hostawen

Post by Hostawen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Thank, thank, thank ya to everyone for the thoughts :)

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Suilad Hostawen,
I've printed out what you originally wanted as well, I'll see if  I can't find something that means reflect/meditate/contemplate in the book/resources I have.  I'm up to my eyes in completing the Valar meditations, so it may be a week, but I won't forget.  Today is a meditation free day, so if the mundane doesn't distract me too much, I can start digging today for you.  ;)
                                                                                                                                  Eruannlass

~ e e cummings

Hostawen

Post by Hostawen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Eruannlass wrote: Suilad Hostawen,
I've printed out what you originally wanted as well, I'll see if  I can't find something that means reflect/meditate/contemplate in the book/resources I have.  I'm up to my eyes in completing the Valar meditations, so it may be a week, but I won't forget.  Today is a meditation free day, so if the mundane doesn't distract me too much, I can start digging today for you.  ;)
Hannon le, Eruannlass :) I'm in no hurry though, so feel free to take your time.

Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Niennildi Oarnen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:03 pm

I've been giving this some thought, Hostawen.  Dave and I discussed our energetic experiences with the two words  and Aiya in ritual. You use "Hail" for OM. I've developed an understanding of OM as the primal sound that is the sound that created the universe (perhaps the opening chord of the Ainulindale, thinking of it in Tolkienist terms).

In the time I've been working ritually with Quenya and what we've done with how we've grown out of Tie eldalieva, I feel that projects that energy sound of creation-- a very grand "Let it Be!"

Aiya, on the other hand has the feeling of  an, "And so it is" or an "Amen" as well as the "Hail" (very much like the ending swaha of many Sanskrit mantras that is interpreted as "hail").

These two Quenya words have similar sound values, so the feel of your prayer/mantra feels right as it is now. The meaning differences are subtle, but not. So now it's up to you. Do you want to say, "Hail" or do you want to say OM?

Please take this as constructive criticism that is meant to broaden how you are thinking of your prayer. It's wonderful that you've been inspired by this Sanskrit mantra, and it's difficult working from an English interpretation of it. Your prayer does not have to follow the Sanskrit form, I just wanted you to think  on this aspect, given our  experiences with the words.

Dineen
Just call me Dineen.

Hostawen

Post by Hostawen » Thu May 01, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks Dineen for your thoughts, very constructive ones indeed. I'm going to meditate on it tonight and see how I feel about it. Instead of I originally had Násie (amen). You are very right about OM being a primal sound, I hadn't thought of that.
Do you want to say, "Hail" or do you want to say OM?
OM. *nods*

Thanks again for your thoughts :)

Hostawen

Post by Hostawen » Thu May 01, 2008 9:22 am

After thinking on it, I do believe I really like your suggestions Dineen. If we think on what Eä means "to be" and then place it in the mantra, it is much more like almost invoking them (i.e. Eä Cuiviénen = To be the Water of Awakening), which is a lot more deeper and primal than Aiya allows. Thank you for bringing this up, I might not have noticed this otherwise.  ;D

ETA: I edited the original post so that others who look here wouldn't have to scroll down for the new version.

Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Niennildi Oarnen » Thu May 01, 2008 11:09 am

Now we just have to find that line, "Let us reflect on the Light of the Two Trees".

I really think that's a winner.
Just call me Dineen.

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Eruannlass » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

From Niennildi -
Now we just have to find that line, "Let us reflect on the Light of the Two Trees".

I really think that's a winner.

I am eager to begin this - I want to play archaeologist - I have 3 more Valar meditations od the intial eight to do, and will be playing around with my language resources in the interim...
                                                                                      Eruannlass

~ e e cummings