More moving things around

The topics from the Virtual Alexandria forum are now merged with the main forum.
This came with more moving things around. Sorry if this causes any confusion: I promise this will settle down soon!

Still, nothing should be missing. As always, please let me know if you miss anything and I'll try and fix it.

Oh yes, and HAPPY 2021! :)

Turuhalme Prayer

Poetical expressions of facets of the spirit of Ilsaluntë Valion
Forum rules
Keep in mind that everything posted in this sub-forum is visible for the outside world
Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Turuhalme Prayer

Post by Niennildi Oarnen »

Just found this in my files. I adapted/created this Turuhalme prayer from an All  Saint's Day Catholic prayer I stumbled across this past fall in reading about the history of All Saint's Day.

Turuhalme Prayer

My Creator Eru,
bestow Thy blessings and Thy mercies
on all persons and on those souls who abide in the Halls of Mandos
for whom I am in charity, gratitude, or friendship bound
and have the desire to pray. Amen

I called it Turuhalme Prayer based on the BOLT reference to the tale telling of the war stories. This reference made me think the holiday had a strong connection to remembering the dead (a discussion from the old board that should perhaps be reposted).

edited to correct Halls of Mandos
Just call me Dineen.
Ellenar
Plank Holder
Plank Holder

Re: Turuhalme Prayer

Post by Ellenar »

I like this prayer. :D  I also agree that Turuhalme has a very Samhain-like feel.
"The time of Moonsheen has passed. The noontide of the dominion of Men is waning. Soon will come the era of Starshine. And the ages will partake of both; the grace of Moonsheen and the glory of the Days of the Sun" -Mormeril
Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Thank you for your kind words, Ellenar.
Just call me Dineen.
Lomelindo
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Post by Lomelindo »

Turuhalme is very much about the Ancestors, and so is Yule amongst the Heithinn folk.  Turuhalme and Yule are very similar, in that in both, there is the Fire and the telling of Tales.  And most often, tales of the Ancestors, of their deeds and their struggles and so forth. 
And yes Ellenar both versions of the holiday have a Samhain-like feel.  In the Norse traditions, it is the time when Odin rides with the Wild Hunt (being very much similar to the Celtic notions of the 'Wild Hunt').

~Lomelindo
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” - Haldir

“We’re not in decent places.” Gollum
Niennildi Oarnen
Counsellor
Counsellor

Ellenar, you've mentioned the Samhain feel before.

Lomelindo, thank you for your additional insights about Turuhalme from the perspective of your tradition. I am going to reproduce your comments in the Nature of Turuhalme thread, where brought up the information from the archives. If you have anything else to add, add it there.
Just call me Dineen.