README.1ST - A Short Introduction

Who we are, and membership info.
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

README.1ST - A Short Introduction

Post by Lúthien » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 pm

This is a quick readme version of the Long Introduction, meant to give an overview for someone who is possibly interested.

What is Ilsaluntë Valion?
Ilsaluntë Valion (the Silver Ship of the Valar) is a group dedicated to gnostic exploration of the imaginative realm that J.R.R. Tolkien has called Faerie.
If you want to learn more about Gnosis in general, you could check the wikipedia page about gnosis here or visit http://gnosis.org.

What do we do?
That depends on who you ask!
In order to achieve gnosis, some use meditation techniques. Some use entheogens. Some like to use rituals. And some create things - in writing or in images. We all share results, experiences and thoughts with one another. Because we like to.

In short:
We are all quite different in our approach. In that sense we aren't a group. Maybe it is easier to define us by what we are not, or what we don't do:
We are not Tolkien fans in the usual sense, though we value Tolkien's work a great deal. Most of us appreciate his books as stories, too.
We don't recommend, approve or stand for any specific (spiritual) practice, because of the highly individual character of gnosis. The only thing that binds us is that we feel that the mytho-history described by Tolkien appeals to us. It offers us a framework from within we can find our own paths.

Interested?
If you register for our forum, we will first reply by email (to the address you supply when registering). No big deal: it's just to chat a bit and get a feel for whether or not this is the sort of thing you're looking for. Note that if you are not registered, only a very small part of the board is visible. You can read this "About Us" forum, plus some creative forums that contain poetry and images created by our members. Everything else is accessible only to registered members.

If you want to know more about the points described here, look in mentioned long introduction here or in the FAQ here.

Eruannlass
Navigator
Navigator

Re: README.1ST - A Short Introduction

Post by Eruannlass » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 pm

It sounds good, Melleth. A very abbreviated introduction can serve well to allow people that have found us determine whether or not to keep reading. It reminds me of the 'short, short version' of wedding vows in one of my favorite films ~ 'Do you?' 'Yes.' 'Do you?' 'Yes!' 'Good; You're married. Kiss her!' =)

Eruannlass
I Aear cân ven na mar ~ 'The Sea calls us Home.'

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
~ e e cummings