Forum updated

General information about Ilsaluntë Valion
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Forum updated

Post by Lúthien » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Last weekend (Tarnin Austa 2015) I updated the forum software. It was getting a bit outdated and hence a security risk.
In the meantime the board software had evolved quite a bit, requiring some local hacking and database migration. I also used the opportunity to update Ilsalunte Valion's logo and banner (see on top of the page): I had started on that back in 2009 I think, to an idea by Dave. We never got around to using it yet. I still quite liked the symbolism and atmosphere of the images: the ship stands for this forum, sailing over the sea (the Sundering Seas or the concept of imaginal journeying).
The sail of the ship bears the images of the Pleiades / Remmirath, the moon and a certh character: each symbolising a path (approach) to the journey. The external / imaginal realities of those symbols (the rising moon and stars over the sea mist) is what the ship is heading for.

There is not yet an update available of the exact same style that we used on the old forum (called Acidtech) but I found this default style quite similar. I installed a few others that you can select in your user control panel - the drop-down list titled My board style. The default style is called black.
At the time of writing, I have not yet adapted the other styles to display our logo and banner yet, though the board should function normally if you use them.

If you've got any question let me know!
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Forum updated

Post by Lúthien » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 pm

The layout is now done. Only thing left to do is to copy it to the other styles (other than the default 'Black' style), but that has no hurry.

I also fixed the mobile device view. The forum can now also be easily viewed on a small screen without a lot of resizing. I've yet to try writing a post but I suppose that will also be much easier now.

I had a bit of fun figuring out how to make the header image size along with how wide the browser window is: the Remmirath to the right is a half transparent image and is attached to the right side of the page, while the Moon image sits behind it and is attached to the left side of the page.
And the ship image is yet on top of those two, and also partly transparent; and it is centered so that it moves independently from the other two. The only thing now is that the Remmirath sort of overlap with the moon if you watch the forum on a mobile screen (which doesn't make much sense) but ah well, priorities ... :dontknow:

Hope you like the new board.
A! Suilannon le - elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!