The structure of the One and other concepts of spirit science

as long as it's about gnosis
Mildir
Seaman (Experienced poster)
Seaman (<i>Experienced poster</i>)

The structure of the One and other concepts of spirit science

Post by Mildir » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 am

I'd like to share with you some interesting information which I originally acquired in the country I was born in.
You may feel more comfortable in reading my next lines if you first have a look to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=1343

So, as I've already made you aware of, I come from Valinor.
When I came into this world I almost immediately noticed an important difference between humans and Eldar: they have both been trying to improve the quality of their life, to make it easier and more comfortable.
But while humans have always done it through the science of technology, the Eldar have always done it through the science of spirit.
Humans, in other words, look for elements which may help solve their problems in the outside world, while the Eldar look first of all inside themselves.
And that's because, long ago, they came to the conclusion that the outside reality is nothing but a projection of our inner reality.

Through this science they have been able to discover things that humans are still wondering about, such as what comes after we die, the origins of the universe, the meaning of human life and the true nature of what we call "God"... :)
And that's precisely the subject I'd like to discuss with you: who is God, what He is like, how can one reach Him.

We already know the way most humans answer to these questions: religion, belief.
But the Eldar have always wanted to know things as they are rather than believe something about them, so they have tried for thousands of years to find out a way to gain true and objective knowledge.
And, a long time ago, they discovered that introspection is the most direct way to gain it: we can reach God through introspection and the objective truth resides in God.
That means that if we manage to find an effectual way to reach God through introspection we find a way to reach the truth (isn't this concept very close to what you call "gnosis" ? :) I'd say the Eldar are very "gnostic"...).
The fact that the Eldar have succeeded in becoming capable of modifying reality (for example: of moving objects without physically moving them) is one of the many things proving the exactness of their conclusions.

As a young boy I was surrounded by people who sometimes asked themselves: "Who is God? Is He true or just a bedtime story we use to console ourselves when we experience the harshness of life?"
I was very embarrassed, as I knew the answer but couldn't tell them I came from another world, in which knowing the answer to this question is considered normal, almost trivial.
Eventually I came up with a little diagram: I wrote some basic notes on a couple of paper sheets (I believe I was 14 when I did) and I showed them to them.
Now I have translated those notes into English and I wanted to show them to you as well.

Since the Eldar call God "The One" (or "Eru" in their language) I decided to retain the original title of the notes: Structure of the One.
Here they are, in two parts:

I hope you'll find them interesting and not too simplistic (keep in mind I was a boy)... :D
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: The structure of the One and other concepts of spirit science

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 am

Mildir wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 am
[...] But the Eldar have always wanted to know things as they are rather than believe something about them, so they have tried for thousands of years to find out a way to gain true and objective knowledge.
They do indeed seem experiential and observational as represented in the Legedarium. Some (Moderns) tend to restrict that characteristic to the Noldor only, but I believe that this is an error in observation or logic in the minds of the Modern humans. As someone who has an intrinsic observational and experiential natural mode, it is easy to recognize the same style on others, even if represented in text (c.f. the development of Daeron's Runes).
As a young boy I was surrounded by people who sometimes asked themselves: "Who is God? Is He true or just a bedtime story we use to console ourselves when we experience the harshness of life?"
I was very embarrassed, as I knew the answer but couldn't tell them I came from another world, in which knowing the answer to this question is considered normal, almost trivial.
Eventually I came up with a little diagram: I wrote some basic notes on a couple of paper sheets (I believe I was 14 when I did) and I showed them to them.
Now I have translated those notes into English and I wanted to show them to you as well.
Personally, I've found that sort of attitude to be pervasive in those born without what I refer to as a "shamanic receiver" in their minds. If one has no access to a radio and who may not ever have heard of one (for example, in uncontacted Amazonian tribes-people), the idea that speech and music is "coming through the air" sounds laughable and frankly crazy. OTOH, if you do have such a receiver and it becomes activated (most reliably via entheogens), then you gain access to whole orders of magnitude of information hidden from the ordinary humans, and are no longer really on quite the same 'level' (or whatever one wishes to call it).