Discussion re. Markus Davidsen’s thesis

as long as it's about gnosis
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Discussion re. Markus Davidsen’s thesis

Post by Lúthien » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm

That (the line of Lúthien) is indeed a very interesting approach, as is the whole concept of mytho-history.

Actually, Lance Owens discusses the concept behind it (or at least that’s how I understand it) in the third part of that Tolkien lecture series. Let me see if I can reproduce the argument he makes:

The idea is that in order to be able to write “true myths” (Gnostic writings) one has to adopt a different view on what mythology is: in the general view, mythology consists of stories that were written long time ago by unenlightened people, and that form the “seed” of our logos or culture. In that view the “canon of myth” is closed: you cannot enter new stories into it.

But if you accept that even today people sometimes come up with “true myths” - like Tolkien did - then the canon of myth cannot be closed.
I’m afraid that I miss part of the argument ... I’d have to listen to that lecture again. But the essence is that where the accepted view is that “history produces myth”, this Gnostic view turns it around into “myth produces history”.

This notion meshes very well with the concept of mytho-history, I think. Back at the time we’re talking about now I was still coming to grips with the concepts of the whole thing. That idea of numenorean ritual was just too advanced or abstract for me at that time.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:50 am

Lúthien wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm
[..] I’d have to listen to that lecture again. But the essence is that where the accepted view is that “history produces myth”, this Gnostic view turns it around into “myth produces history”.
Do you still have those audios? That would be cool to listen to -- whatever caused my reluctance to listen to the guy back in the day is gone now. If you ever sent them to me, they bit the dust in that crash of my original Linux HDD in the autumn of 2014.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am

They are still online, just go here

You can also download the mp3 versions there.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!