Eternal Return & "Cloud Atlas"

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Eternal Return & "Cloud Atlas"

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello all: I wanted to talk about a movie I've recently become fascinated with called "Cloud Atlas". This is one of the few video dramas I've seen that deal directly with the Eternal Return concept, the other being the Battlestar Galactica series [link to concept].

Since this one may be a bit hard to find (apparently it was not popular in the U.S., but is more well known abroad) I've uploaded it to my Rapidshare account, and you can download it by clicking on this link;

http://rapidshare.com/files/3801265580/CA-2012.zip

The zip archive contains the movie in MP4 format (720p) and an English subtitle file, which is a necessity, since the story is told with six different timelines progressing simultaneously, and in the future-most one, they speak a sort of English-based creole. Example:
Zachry wrote:Nay, this life all rot n' luck ain't' no smilin' in some yarnin'. In rear's time, I ever 'fessed the secret of Sloosha's Hallow.

Adam, my bro' by law, n' his son n' me be trekkin' back from Honokaa Market. It was Adam's custom to kowtow his ancestry with offerin's n' honorin's.

Suddenwise, that fangy devil's eyes, I felt 'em...
It's an interesting movie on several levels: one is that the same actor or actress portrays affine characters within each timeline. In the case of the quote above (played by Tom Hanks), he goes from a duplicitous sociopathic doctor in 1849 to a heroic figure who manages to save the last of the "Old Uns" (modern humans as we know them) from annihilation in circa 2400.

The future creole dialect has several words which are used frequently and which I shall define here so that people don't have to puzzle them out, as some may not be into watching the same movie dozens of times to pick up every nuance as is my custom:

cog: "To Think/Understand/Know", obviously from "cognition". With this term and several others, you can see that the differentiation of the primal "holophrase" as described by Owen Barfield [link] has undergone the analogue of gravitational collapse and returned unto itself as the culture moved from modern cultural individuation to tribal band.

true-true: This corresponds to what we on this forum would call "Factual truth".

Ol' Georgie: A sort of demonic "god of death" figure. Zachry sees him on many occasions, always bringing some prescient warning or other. Although most moderns on the IMDB discussion boards seem to dismiss him as a "figment of Zachry's imagination", it is clear to me as a shaman that Zachry has an undeveloped shamanic reception, and is probably (unwittingly) in contact with some dark spirit or other who expresses itself in this from in order to attempt to get Zachry to do what it wants.

As I wrote not long ago in a private email to Luthien on a different but tangential topic:
[...] I've seen accounts similar to this one from countries in the Amazon Basin most of whose citizens are Catholic. What seems to happen is that certain dark spirits use deceptive tactics and pretend to be Satan, and since they are usually selecting schizophreniform thinkers (this shows up when the shaman asks them to tell their life story as best they can remember before the healing ceremony) they are usually able to play upon their childhood fears and convince them to go along with what they want them to do.

Now, needless to say, these dark spirits are not at all Archon-level entities. Most of them seem to be either an ancestor who was murdered or plant-collectives who have been destroyed (part of a rainforest, for example). According to an anthopological film I have, most of the Vengeful Ancestor type invaders pretty much try to carry out vengeance upon their killers, even if it is many years later and the killer has died of old age. It's like they don't know they're dead. But their actions are comprehensible from a human vengeance standpoint. The destroyed plant-collectives are more nihilistic and chaotic (and also usually have more direct coercive power -- they usually don't use deception as such because they don't understand it or how it works).
Anyway, if any of you download this, I would very much like to see your post(s) on what you thought of the film.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Eternal Return & "Cloud Atlas"

Post by Lúthien » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 am

Ah, ze notificeyshuns are fixed!
I'll download it, though it may be a few days before I can watch it. Maybe tomorrow.

Ginnie
Seaman (Experienced poster)
Seaman (<i>Experienced poster</i>)

cloud atlas

Post by Ginnie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Downloading!! Looks awesome!

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:29 am

I've started the dl, but it's kind of slow. Current ETA is about 5 hrs.

I've also read up about it on IMDB, which made me worry a bit about the amount of violence in the movie. Not sure if I can sit that out.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am

There's violence in it, but it isn't gratuitous, and makes sense given the situation the various people find themselves in. It's a "violent scenes" movie rather than a "violence themed" movie. Dineen just covered Elanor's eyes at the worst parts (such as a body impacting the street when thrown from a high-rise roof, etc.). All of them that I can think of have at keast several seconds "lead time" where you can tell what's going to happen.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

ok, thanks.

I'm going to have to try dl'ing it again: the first download timed out for some reason.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

For tech savvy people like us, it may make more sense to download a torrent:

http://yify-torrents.com/movie/Cloud_Atlas_2012

The only problem is that the subs included with this torrent are laughably inaccurate. I had to get one from a DVDRip and resynced it to this 720p file. I don't have it here, as we are in Blairsville for the house sale, and the corrected one is at home in Etowah.

///Dave

P.S. We are now officially homeowners. B-)

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Davy Willis Lee wrote:P.S. We are now officially homeowners. B-)
Congrats B-)
Welcome to the club :-)

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Corrected subs attached.

There is still the occasional word misinterpreted by whomever made these subs, but they are largely correct. I haven't had the time to correct more than a handful of expressions, but most of the errors are convergent in meaning, not divergent, unlike the subs included with the original torrent.

///Dave

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 pm

While were at it, jest drop this-a-here config file for SMPlayer inta yer SMPlayer settings folder and enjoy th' best damn movie player out dere, bar none: (attached).

{This is my "Richard Parker" voice that I use for my daughter Elanor's (who loves the movie Life of Pi) hand puppet. Why does a tiger from French India sound like an admixture of Alabaman, the protagonist from Sling Blade, and a hint of North Georgia Southern lilt? Beats me, but he jest come out that-a way. B-)}

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 am

Archivist: On behalf of my Ministry and the future of Unanimity, I want to thank you for the final interview. Remember, this isn't an interrogation or trial. Your version of the truth is all that matters.
Sonmi-451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are...mistruths.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Has anyone else been able to watch this film yet?

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:17 am

I've seen about 40% atm. I will continue as soon as I can. I had some trouble downloading it.
One reason is that Rapidshare throttles the download speed for non-members (such as I am) and it takes about 5 hours all in all to download it.

I have found another file sharing service that I like a LOT better, and that doesn't nag you into getting a paid subscription - or at least, you can use it comfortably if you don't.
It's this one: https://www.wetransfer.com/ I used it a couple of times now and it works perfectly.

I was also wondering if it would be interesting to write out the points that you'd like to discuss: I mean more in detail than above. It doesn't need to be long though, something like a short list of points: I'd like that, to keep in the back of my head while watching (the rest of) the movie.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Sure. I'll do that when i get real 'net access on tuesday.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:19 am

yesterday the fourth or fifth attempt to download that file failed. Again :(