Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Online lectures, texts, downloads
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Post by Lúthien » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:18 pm

I came across the Aeon Byte podcasts about gnostic subjects maybe two years ago. At first I couldn't make much sense of the introductions by Miguel Conner: sometimes I thought that he was satirising his subject, then it seemed serious after all.
But eventually I took a bit more time and listened some episodes through all the way and decided that he IS serious about it. Very serious even.
In that light, the introductions are quite humorous (even when the subject is serious) though I still miss some of the references - they are full of movie soundtrack fragments, or maybe it's taken from radio or tv.

He's very productive, the list of podcasts must be hundreds of shows long. Among other things, he interviews both Stephan Hoeller and Lance Owens, but a great deal more as well. I suppose there is a lot in there that might be interesting for us as well!

If you have an iTunes account you can find his podcasts there, but they can also be downloaded (for free, all of them) on the Aeon Byte website.

He has another website titled the God above God.

Ginnie
Seaman (Experienced poster)
Seaman (<i>Experienced poster</i>)

Re: Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Post by Ginnie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I am probably the last person alive who does not have an ipod! grrr At the same time it's very hard for me to hear lectures. Some kinda audio processing mess is my guess. Give me print and I'll take it all in, pod casts are HARD!

I'll see tho what I can do and maybe I can listen to some. I want to get this program that will type out audio, audio to text I think it's called.

That would be so amazing for me.

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 am

ginnie wrote:I am probably the last person alive who does not have an ipod! grrr At the same time it's very hard for me to hear lectures. Some kinda audio processing mess is my guess. Give me print and I'll take it all in, pod casts are HARD!
I agree with you on this, as I have some sort of auditory language processing difficulty, although my hearing itself is fine and has a higher upper range than normal (about 25kHz).
I'll see tho what I can do and maybe I can listen to some. I want to get this program that will type out audio, audio to text I think it's called.
Speech to text, you mean? The best one (by repute -- I have not actually used it) is called "Dragon NaturallySpeaking" [link]. Not sure of they still have to be "trained" on each voice or if the tech has advanced beyond that -- though I imagine some of the Southern accents of my neighbors would cause some transcription errors. :-)

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 pm

ginnie wrote:I am probably the last person alive who does not have an ipod! grrr At the same time it's very hard for me to hear lectures. Some kinda audio processing mess is my guess. Give me print and I'll take it all in, pod casts are HARD!
That would be so amazing for me.
I looked for you: there's a Google Chrome plugin that does speech recognition. However, I don't know whether it also takes audio files for input.
Then there's CMU Sphinx - which looks very interesting. But it may be a bit difficult to get it to run: you can have a look at http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx ... nd_install

The interesting thing is that I also find listening to someone explaining things oftentimes extremely difficult.
But I also know that, as soon as it becomes engaging, it becomes very easy!
Do you have problems watching movies?

Ginnie

Post by Ginnie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 pm

i love watching movies and sometimes if I watch something 5 times I've seen all the bits I've missed and it starts making sense. I'll check out that link. :)

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

I watched District 9 every night for over a year.

I suppose that's what the NT's call 'ritualistic' autistic behavior, but to someone who minored in Anthropology as I did, that is really a bad word-choice. It's more "neurologically basic" than 'ritual' connotes.

Ginnie

Post by Ginnie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I haven't watched a movie that many times but I have a book, that I loved as a child, I still have it and I've read it over and over, and I still do sometimes. It's just the perfect book for me. There is another one but I haven't found it again that I used to read over and over and my delight never dimmed.

BTW. I've watched district 9 twice and it's a relatively new find for me. Not done watching it yet.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 pm

I understand that VERY well (what Dave says).

This is the same thing as why I love to listen to the Silmarillion over and over again: it is not about "absorbing information" which is over and done with after one time.
This is about "being in contact". Not just the bare words get transferred, but you are entering into, well, I suppose it is the Imaginal Realm that's openend up by the story in question.

When I listen to (or read) the Silmarillion it's not to figure out "what happened again" but because I want to be there.

Ginnie

Post by Ginnie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Yes, that's the exact feeling I get with the two books I have read over and over.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 am

I was chatting with Sarek about this the other day.
Direct reason was that I had been listening to Donald Swann's version of Treebeard's Song, which I consider the most evocative one in the Road Goes Ever On album:
(Don't pay attention to the images, they are clumsy, hardly appropriate and rather distract than anything else)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_aIUwVTuE

In the willow-meads of Tasarinan I walked in the Spring.
Ah! the sight and the smell of the Spring in Nan-tasarion!
And I said that was good.

I wandered in Summer in the elm-woods of Ossiriand.
Ah! the light and the music in the Summer by the Seven Rivers of Ossir!
And I thought that was best.

To the beeches of Neldoreth I came in the Autumn.
Ah! the gold and the red and the sighing of leaves in the Autumn in Taur-na-neldor!
It was more than my desire.

To the pine-trees upon the highland of Dorthonion I climbed in the Winter.
Ah! the wind and the whiteness and the black branches of Winter upon Orod-na-Thôn!
My voice went up and sang in the sky.

And now all those lands lie under the waves.
And I walk in Ambaróna, in Tauremorna, in Aldalómë.
In my own land, in the country of Fangorn,
Where the roots are long,
And the years lie thicker than the leaves
In Tauremornalómë.

I find specially the lines around "My voice went up and sang in the sky." incredibly evocative. It's heart-piercing.

Anyhow, this made me think again about all my attempts to share these experiences, that most often happen with things that can be listened to. It started years ago with the Silmarillion, which I previously knew only as a book but which turned out to have a much stronger impact when listened to: it is as if it then speaks to the soul in a more direct manner than when reading it.

I'm not trying to turn this into an emotionally-charged issue, but it is something that has puzzled and saddened me: this whole gnosis-business is by definition a very individual endeavour and maybe that's why I can feel such an intense desire to create some common ground, to have some shared experiences.
I even went as far as sending Eruannlass an mp3 player with a lot of material on it, because she came with all these practical reasons that she never got around to listening to anything - like not having an mp3 player. Well, they're dirt cheap, so I sent her one. But as far as I know, she still hasn't listened to anything on it. After that, it dawned on me that maybe she didn't actually *want* to listen to those things and maybe did not want to say that. But why? I have absolutely no idea.

Sarek told me that the difficulty for him is that he finds it very difficult to process auditory information, and that this is the reason he doesn't listen to things such as audio lectures etc. Which also seems to go for Ginnie.

But if anything, that would certainly also go for me! And sure enough, I know that I find it extremely difficult to follow auditory instructions, such as someone explaining a route to me. This is a typical inattentive ADD trait: a deficiency in working memory. I read about it: there's a researcher in Vancouver, Adele Diamond, who has done research on this specific issue. It turns out that the problem arises whenever you have to do any cognitive labour at the same time as listening.
Listening to instructions is like that: you have to listen, but you also have to form a mental image of the subject matter; categorise it, link it to other pieces of information.
This is very hard, if not almost impossible. This goes for you both, but also for me!

So, how come that I *can* listen to these lectures by Dr Hoeller without my eyes glazing over?

I think that I know now. Maybe you have not considered this.
But think about it: while you might find it very difficult to follow auditory instructions, how about listening to someone telling you a story?
Close your eyes, and relax. You do not have to *understand* anything. This is not rote memorisation. It's not math class. There'll be no exams.
It is an invitation to explore something new, and you can postpone any cognitive action to a later time - if at all.

As in the Donald Swann song, whatever happens speaks not to your mind, to your cognition. It speaks to your soul.
For me, this is also the reason that I can listen to things like that time and time again: I don't need to learn anything from it: but I do want to go to that place where it takes me more than once.
This is something very different from instruction. Maybe the term "audio lecture" is a bit misleading in this respect. Even the lectures by Hoeller and Owens are not "instruction": they "tell about" the subject. You can just listen to it as you would watch a movie, or read a book. If you don't get it, maybe you will later, or another time. Or never, it doesn't matter.

I can tell from my experience that having a difficulty following auditory instruction most definitely does not stop me from enjoying these auditory explorations. Quite the contrary maybe, I have the feeling that I am much more sensible than average to be enchanted by them.

Maybe this goes for you, too. Don't you at least want to give it a try?

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Meneldur Olvarion » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 am

I think you really hit the nail on the head with this post (that is to say, you have it exactly correct, at least in my case). I have to consume considerable processing power to decode speech with the result that I don't have many reserves left to analyze the context at deeper levels -- which makes most verbal instructions sound like: "Breaker, breaker: Eisenhower expressway, action immediate!! 10/4. {squelch as mic key released}".

Will say more later -- have to go to the meeting with the lawyer to finaklize the house sale.