Discussion split off from ‘Gondolin music’

This forum is meant as a place for Mildir to write about his experiences and insights
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Re: Gondolin music

Post by Lúthien » Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 am

Mildir wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm
Those posts will haunt me forever! :sorry:
I don’t think it’s that dramatic ;)

Sorry, I haven’t had time yet to move things around. Will do as soon as I have the opportunity.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!

Mildir
Seaman (Experienced poster)
Seaman (<i>Experienced poster</i>)

Post by Mildir » Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 am

Lúthien wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 am
Mildir wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm
Those posts will haunt me forever! :sorry:
I don’t think it’s that dramatic ;)
In fact, I was being ironic... :)
Sorry, I haven’t had time yet to move things around. Will do as soon as I have the opportunity.
I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank you for taking the time to create the subforum: your initiative was rather unexpected, but I seem to understand it was the result of the coexistence of two wishes: saving my contributions and saving other people's threads from the parenthetic presence of those contributions. :D
I'm grateful for both these intentions.
I'm writing a sort of report (about real facts, this time), which I would like to become a thread of the new subforum, it's just taking time, but I'll post it sooner or later...
I hope you'll find it interesting. :)
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Mildir wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Everything I say in the above message is not factual, but unverified personal gnosis.

It lies in my heart and no one has to believe that anything of it is real.
Oh, it’s not about “real or not”; it is about whether or not it’s (claimed to be) factual (scientifically, objectively falsifiable).

I admit that “factual” is often considered to be a synonym of “real”, so the terminology can be confusing.

For some reason what you wrote came across as claiming to be factual and that’s hard to accept because, well, then you’d be presenting things as facts that are either impossible to verify / falsify, or that wouldn’t hold when verified.

In the gnostic point of view facts aren’t the only truths or even the most important truths.

In that sense, I’m more than willing to accept your account as true - indeed with the designation “unverified personal gnosis”. That doesn’t mean that it’s worth less than “verified gnosis”, but just that it is new and possibly quite unique.

By the way, though Dave has talked about the different sorts of gnosis (verified / unverified), it’s a real long time ago (around the time I had just become a forum member) and we hardly ever used the terms since then. I can’t explain how to arrive at “verified” gnosis at all, but maybe Dave can say something about that or point to a good source?
Also, I'm sorry if my message vexed someone (and you, Lúthien).
I was happy I had sent it, because it contains something I've been wanting to share with you since I began to write in this forum.
I hope you'll be able to understand that I'm not trying to say that what I say is truer than what you (readers) believe or see as true.
No worries. I’d be glad if you can find a good modus operandi.

Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Mildir wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 am
In fact, I was being ironic... :)
Ah, that explains - I often don’t get irony ...
I'd like to take this opportunity (...)
No need to thank me ... I’d be happy if it works out. It’s sometimes hard to figure out what’s the best thing to do, with people having different temperaments and backgrounds sharing a forum :)

I'm writing a sort of report (about real facts, this time), which I would like to become a thread of the new subforum, it's just taking time, but I'll post it sooner or later...
I hope you'll find it interesting. :)
I hope so too :)