John V. Panella

Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

Re: John V. Panella

Post by Meneldur Olvarion »

wornout wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:10 pm
[...] My question back at you is this. How do these “indexers” become “Registered users” without being a live human being and going through the process of becoming a registered users?
It's likely an option in the forum software, i.e., "Do you want this forum indexed or not? [Yes] [No]" You'd have to ask Luthien for the details, as she set this forum up, but most forum software packages have that option.
Are you telling me that it’s okay for these a.i. bots to act like real people and obtain the approval from the forum administrator to become a registered user? It appears to be 1984 in the extreme wouldn’t you agree?
Most forums that allow indexing also have a whole tree of permissions for each user. Bots have read-only access, and then only for what is readable by non-registered users anyway. Again, that's all controlled by the permissions system.
p.s. Right now as I'm typing my reply there is a new indexer , "Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSN [Bot], wornout" :s :hmm:
That's just telling you what it's indexing. If you logout, most likely you'll be able to read your post anyway. If not, then it's whatever is allowed for bots in the permissions system. Again, this is common bot behavior on forums. It's probably event-driven: "Is there a new post, if so, then index what I'm allowed to index."
wornout
Sailor (Regular poster)
Sailor (<i>Regular poster</i>)

Post by wornout »

Hi Meneldur,

Sorry, I didn't respond on this before but things have been going on here with all of the ups and downs like this craziness of the corona virus fear tactic.

Re: Paranoia, Yes, it does come in many forms.
I would say that this “woman” who attacked you on FB and “wished death and torture upon” your family is either possessed, a troll or a “billionaire” that really hates your guts or anybody like you for making such a statement. I wouldn’t say that it was paranoia but pure hate.

As far as your statement of “America deserves a good nuking”, the USA only deserves it for blindly following ‘evil’ leaders in the past and allowing such horrible weapons to be developed in the first place. I want the bad leaders of all countries to be brought to justice plus the ones behind the scenes which include the millionaires, billionaires, and on up.

I would agree that “Moderns in general” are “being odd as f**k” for the masses have been dumb down by all of the programming i.e. pep rallies used at any event to whip them up into irrational thinking and then they go off doing extreme illogical things.

Yep, all that “woman” had to do if she didn’t like what you stated was ‘change the channel’.
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

wornout wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:38 am
[...] As far as your statement of “America deserves a good nuking”, the USA only deserves it for blindly following ‘evil’ leaders in the past and allowing such horrible weapons to be developed in the first place. I want the bad leaders of all countries to be brought to justice plus the ones behind the scenes which include the millionaires, billionaires, and on up.
I have to fully agree with you there.
I would agree that “Moderns in general” are “being odd as f**k” for the masses have been dumb down by all of the programming i.e. pep rallies used at any event to whip them up into irrational thinking and then they go off doing extreme illogical things.
Yeah! The oddest most recent illogical behavior is the whole "hoarding toilet paper" thing. I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years, and most of the campesinos (poor folk) used wash cloths that they would just re-wash, which I'm sure would strike most First Worlders with pure disgust and horror, but it was a lot more sustainable!
wornout
Sailor (Regular poster)

Post by wornout »

More about toilet paper, I thought that you would fine this interesting. :)

"There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.

In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying."

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyone ... ket-newtab
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

That is indeed interesting. I had no idea.

I knew about the Georgia-Pacific Atlanta manufactories, but we live up near the North Carolina border, and only make it into Atlanta a few times per year.
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Hi Wornout,

thanks for your replies!
Sorry that it took me some time to answer, it's a bit of a busy time lately.
wornout wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:55 pm
p.s. Another question since your are "Captain", Who or what are "Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]"?
They are not in the Members list.
They're just indexing bots from Bing and Google - that's how they get to know pages exist so that they can be found.
Nothing to worry about; they do not index any page that is not publicly visible (which is what you would see if you are not logged in).

Incidentally, the fact that they are "registered" doesn't say much. As Dave also said, they index only the titles of the publicly visible pages.
If you are concerned about that - you can check for yourself what is visible to them by logging out of the forum, and then see what you can view. If there's stuff in there that you would rather want to be not findable via Google let us know, then we can exclude that from the indexing bot's permissions.
A! Elin velui, dîn dolog, aduial lúthad!
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

I noticed you guys were discussing toilet paper - here's what one of my Canadian cousins sent me - this is from Australia though (to make it more complex) S)

Click here for The Ballad of Dunny Roll - sorry, the embed option seems to be broken! It's about time I upgrade the forum again, I suppose. That might also fix the notifications not working.
Meneldur Olvarion
First Mate
First Mate

That video cracked me up! :D
Lúthien
Captain
Captain

Post by Lúthien »

Meneldur Olvarion wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:20 pm
Indeed, and the dry Crocodile-Dundee-way in which he serves the last line - it should make every toiled paper hoarder sink into the ground from justified embarrassment 🥳
wornout
Sailor (Regular poster)

Post by wornout »

Lúthien wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 am
Meneldur Olvarion wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:20 pm
Indeed, and the dry Crocodile-Dundee-way in which he serves the last line - it should make every toiled paper hoarder sink into the ground from justified embarrassment 🥳
Thanks for sharing that video. It was great! :D