Valinor: A map (and images of the places)

This forum is meant as a place for Mildir to write about his experiences and insights
Mildir
Able Seaman (Veteran poster)
Able Seaman (<i>Veteran poster</i>)

Valinor: A map (and images of the places)

Post by Mildir »

A long time ago I tried to draw a map of the Valinor I mention in this post.
As you may already know, it is the same Valinor that Lada Haldeson said she came from, also the same land that twenty-odd people who used to be in touch with me remember (meaning they were born with what looks like memories from a past life there).
It may be different from the land of the Valar as J.R.R. Tolkien conceived it.

The names in it are in Vinyaquenya (modern version of Quenya), Mithren (modern version of Sindarin) and Italian.
I shall explain the meaning of every name below.
I shall, moreover, provide some basic information about some of them.
Pareg o Valannor - Sad 1.jpg
Names (in alphabetical order):

- Alqualondë: Swanhaven.
- Baia di Eldamar (this is Italian): Bay of Eldamar.
- Baia di Nienna (this is Italian): Bay of Nienna. Also the place where Olórin chose to abandon his
carnal form forever, becoming part of the light above that corner of
the Silent Sea.
- Belerimlad: Vale of the Great (where the Council of Elders has its seat).
- Cór: the city referred to as Kôr in the Book of Lost Tales. It rises up on a hill, it’s all made of stone,
no house has a door (though all have an entrance). No longer used but kept as relic. Many
fairytales carved on the rocky walls surrounding it.
- Costa d’Adamante (this is Italian): Diamond Shore.
- Fiordo di Drengist (this is Italian): Firth of Drengist (not to be confused with the one in Beleriand, mentioned by Tolkien).
- Fiordo di Perindion (this is Italian): Firth of Perindion (where the only Valinorean community of
Halflings resides).
- Foresta Oromea (this is Italian): Oromë’s Forest.
- Formenos: Northern Fortress.
- Forpelori: Northern Fencing Heights.
- Galadhrond: Vaulted Roof of Trees. A beautiful lush dell.
- Giardini di Lórien (this is Italian): Gardens of Lórien.
- Gwenilduin (Fiume di Giada)(this is Italian): Jade River. It marks the beginning of Oromë’s forest.
The giant deer of Oromë are often seen on its Northern
shores.
- Halla Fento: The Tall Door.
- Hanstovanen: Hanstovanen (also mentioned by Tolkien). A little settlement.
- Hyarmenos: Southern Fortress.
- Hyarpelori: Southern Fencing Heights.
- Isola di Oltrevista (this is Italian): Yondersight Island. An island from which one can see a really
vast sea area.
- Ivannethland: Yavanna’s Plateau (flat lands where you usually can see Yavanna. Also the area
where you can find all the flocks of sheep that exist in Valinor).
- Laurelindenan: Vale of Laurelin. A huge and arcane area. Only people with an experienced mind go
there. Once the area where the great pillar of illumination called Laurelin
(represented as a tree in the early tales of the Eldar) rose up.
- Lintaurenan: Plain of the Singing Forest. Most of the Eldar live in this tree-covered huge plain.
- Lunghe Miriadi (this is Italian): Long Twinkle Myriads.
- Mar D’Oro (this is Italian): Gilded Sea.
- Mare del Silenzio (this is Italian): Silent Sea. In this sea the whales of Ulmo are seen very often.
- Mar Livindëo: House of Líviel. The house of an old friend of mine who is one of the greatest
healers in Valinor.
- Mar Memore (this is Italian): Remembering Sea.
- Mar Mildó: House of Mildir. My house (simply consisting of two flets/telain).
- Mar Òniro (this is Italian): Dreamy Sea.
- Mar Vanwa Tyalieva: House of Lost Play. Referred to as “The Cottage of the Play of Sleep” in the
Book of Lost Tales, not to be confused with the Little House of Lost Play in
Eressëa. It was once accessible from the world via Olórë Mallë (Path of
Dreams).
- Pelori Valion: Fencing Heights of the Valar.
- Rivargento (this is Italian): Silvershore.
- Tavanondor: Woodrocks (a valley where gigantic wood pillars similar to rocks rise up).
- Valmar (Cittadella)(this is Italian): Citadel of Valmar (a description here, seventh line).

Important note about the compass rose:

- F = North (Formen)
- R = East (Rómen)
- H = South (Hyarmen)
- N = West (Númen)
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Mildir

Images of some of the places

Post by Mildir »

(For further details on the places and their names, see above)

This is what Belerimlad looks like:
Be Velerimlad.jpg
(The seat of the Council of Elders is located on the top of one of these "rocky pillars". It is a beatiful palace)

This is what Galadhrond looks like:
19756876_1832154470135175_570724816721436101_n.jpg
This is what the Southern shore of the peninsula of the Gardens of Lórien looks like:
image2blasket.jpg
Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil. (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Mildir

Images of some of the places

Post by Mildir »

(For further details on the places and their names, see the first post of this thread)

This is what Southern Laurelindenan looks like:
Be fornúnen Valannor.jpg
This is what a portion of the plain between Cór and Mar Vanwa Tyalieva looks like:
17.jpg
17.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
This last picture, instead, reminds me of a valley not far from the Pelori surrounding Mandos, also not far from a place called "The Vale of the Silver Lilies", which has been the inspiration for a very famous Valinorean fairytale called "The Partridge and the Lily of Mist". I would love to be able to tell it to you, but it's... complicated. Maybe in the future.
Similbalannor.jpg
Mildir

Re: Valinor: A map (and images of the places)

Post by Mildir »

One last picture, this is maybe trivial and it's not about a place: this is what a tree growing not far from my house looked like:
329647490-575548.jpg
It was this color, throughout the year.